Beer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Admittedly it's a lot dearer than 'spoons, but can I recommend "The Strawberry Thief" and the cellar bar (name escapes me) in King Street which both have a rather fine Belgian selection and a lot better than Leffe. Leffe's OK to be fair but the various Trappiste and Abbey beers are a lot better

Whenever I go to Bristol, I manage a visit to Left Handed Giant, sometimes Wild Beer and Wiper& True. And there are plenty more places to give a go. I tend to prefer the great range of UK beer styles over Belgian and a German beers but I'll give the Strawberry Thief a try next time I visit Bristol. 'Spoons is on my veto list.

Meanwhile, Sunday is a day of Faith...

IMG_20221106_200927935.jpg

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Admittedly it's a lot dearer than 'spoons, but can I recommend "The Strawberry Thief" and the cellar bar (name escapes me) in King Street which both have a rather fine Belgian selection and a lot better than Leffe. Leffe's OK to be fair but the various Trappiste and Abbey beers are a lot better

The Strawberry Thief is a favourite of mine too... 👍

I've also been in the cellar bar on King Street, an Audax finished there a few years ago.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Clearing a bit of space ready for a new delivery, I discovered that I had two Halloween beers, both branded Trick or Treat. This is the purple can. When I read 'gravy essence' in the list of ingredients, I thought it would be the trick side of the deal. Then I read the other can's ingredients - identical! Now I'm not so sure.
IMG_20221115_211949485.jpg

a lot better than Leffe

This is not too difficult, no? Does anyone recall what Leffe actually tasted like before it became just another brand' from one the world's largest two brewers?

And talking of large brewers, it is another sad day in the decline of Dark Star, one of the influential breweries in the UK in recent years. Its owner, Asahi, has announced today it is closing it's Partridge Green, Sussex brewery as of 31 december.

Quiz Time! Countries that drink the most beer on a per capita basis.

Q 1. Top 3 countries? (big clue: all 3 are in europe!; US=17th, UK=28th)

Q 2. The only country not in europe in the top 10.?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
This is not too difficult, no? Does anyone recall what Leffe actually tasted like before it became just another brand' from one the world's largest two brewers?

And talking of large brewers, it is another sad day in the decline of Dark Star, one of the influential breweries in the UK in recent years. Its owner, Asahi, has announced today it is closing it's Partridge Green, Sussex brewery as of 31 december.
Yes, it seems like Dark Star is being transferred to Meantime. I went past the Meantime brewery the other day and found myself wondering what they still managed to brew there. It's a big site yet Meantime beers have virtually disappeared from the market. So I guess I now have my answer: not enough.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker

Germany, Belgium, Denmark?

Mexico?

Profpointy

Legendary Member

I'd guess Germany, UK, in that order, then maybe Czech republic or Denmark (likely same order whether per capita or overall volume for the nation)

Top Bottom