Beer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
IMG_20230118_205353453_HDR.jpg

At 10% this Northern Monk is not super strong. But it is strong, nevertheless. Described as a "gluttonous Imperial stout", it has a strong salted caramel flavour to it. File under "lush" and "dessert".

Attachments

• IMG_20230118_205023808_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230118_205023808_HDR.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 0

stephec

Legendary Member
View attachment 674881
At 10% this Northern Monk is not super strong. But it is strong, nevertheless. Described as a "gluttonous Imperial stout", it has a strong salted caramel flavour to it. File under "lush" and "dessert".

I had a similar strength one from them a while ago, can't remember the name but it had a galactic/Star Wars type ring to it, sounds a bit like that one, absolutely delish.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
There was a beer I got from Tesco a couple of years ago. Zia by London Beer Company iirc. Absolutely luscious and quite strong. Not seen it in stock for a while.

I haven't heard from LBC for a while. Wonder whether they have economy problems. Zia is more of a coffee-influenced beer, this one called ''Gluttony'' is definitely in caramel territory;

Tenkaykev

Guru
A mild Sunday afternoon and I don't mean the weather. Hobson's cask mild.
View attachment 675368

I was in Birmingham at a Wake last year. It was held in a pub on the outskirts of Birmingham. I was brought up in Brum and used to drink Ansells Bitter before discovering Guinness, the Pub the Wake was in was a Mitchells and Butler house. I had a pint of Guinness as I couldn't see anything interesting on tap. One of my brothers then got me a pint of M+B mild, it was astonishingly good, and not the thin insipid drink I remembered from almost 50 years ago. I'd put it at least on a par with Guinness, and I preferred the depth and richness on the M+B mild.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I was in Birmingham at a Wake last year. It was held in a pub on the outskirts of Birmingham. I was brought up in Brum and used to drink Ansells Bitter before discovering Guinness, the Pub the Wake was in was a Mitchells and Butler house. I had a pint of Guinness as I couldn't see anything interesting on tap. One of my brothers then got me a pint of M+B mild, it was astonishingly good, and not the thin insipid drink I remembered from almost 50 years ago. I'd put it at least on a par with Guinness, and I preferred the depth and richness on the M+B mild.

That's one of the reasons I really like Anspach and Hobday's London Black. Though it's really a porter, it comes out closer to mild but, like Guinness, it's pumped out with nitro.

stephec

Legendary Member
I was working up at Brewdog in Ellon today so last night I went to the local Aldi to see what they had.

This is from a place just down the road near Aberdeen, nice and malty with a lovely tropical flavour, all for something like £1.59, I wish I'd bought a few more now.

And as a bit of a bonus I was given a 12 pack of Punk as I left today.

IMG_20230123_213222.jpg

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I was working up at Brewdog in Ellon today so last night I went to the local Aldi to see what they had.

This is from a place just down the road near Aberdeen, nice and malty with a lovely tropical flavour, all for something like £1.59, I wish I'd bought a few more now.

And as a bit of a bonus I was given a 12 pack of Punk as I left today.

View attachment 675593

Fierce have done some fabulous sours - Very Berry being on of their regular seasonals.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Speaking of beer, we've got a cupboard full of beer glasses from the various beer festivals that we've visited over the years. Really must have a clear out and just keep the ones that are the most original. This one from Cerne Abbas brewery is my favourite. 😎🍺

IMG_3299.JPG

Top Bottom