Beetroot. I have never eaten it before

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

Beetroot. YUM. One of my favourite veggies.

From the basic pickled in a jar (but soooo much nicer when it's homegrown & home-pickled)
To boiled or roasted and had as a vegetable accompaniment to a main course... YUM..
Or the leaves of the baby plant picked & eaten as part of a salad.. YUM.

It's been described as sweet but earthy and I think that's exactly correct.

One of my favourite sandwiches is pickled beetroot with a strong cheddar cheese in wholemeal crusty bread. YUM!

Raw beetroot and carrot salad - with a bit of ginger if you are feeling adventurous.

Borscht. Wonderful.

Beetroot juice - great for stamina.

Roasted.

Made into crisps.

longers

Legendary Member
gbb said:
Innit supposed to be very good for you ?

I think they found that drinking a pint of beetroot juice a day did improve stamina in cyclists.

Who "they" are I don't know but the story was around a year or so ago and was in the news again recently. I've got the figure of sixteen percent in my head but this could well be wrong!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Try it grated on a fresh salad, or, boiled then leave to cool and eat it sliced with a little black pepper on a cheese sandwich. Yum, Yum.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Boiled with a white sauce anybody? I haven't had that for decades. Thanks for the reminder.

Wolf04

I ran away from infant school because there was beetroot juice on the mash! My elder sister forced her phobia about beetroot on me so never tried it until recently. I was in a very nice restaurant in Guernsey several years ago when a trusted family member suggested I would like beetroot. I had ham hock with pease pudding(it's a Geordie thing) and roasted beetroot. I've been enjoying it ever since. It's the vinegar I don't like.

Top Bottom