Beetroot. I have never eaten it before

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mangaman

biggs682 said:
cheese and beetroot sandwich can not be beaten , try the the golden varieties even better

Mmmmm.... Goat's cheese and fresh beetroot - fantastic combo under any circumstances.

It's easy to cook beetroot - just don't pierce the skin - and boil. Fresh beetroot in season is a joy.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
"Be-troot to me" - there's an old joke somewhere for which that is the punchline. I can't remember it. :smile:

HeyWayne

Fnaar said:
"Be-troot to me" - there's an old joke somewhere for which that is the punchline. I can't remember it. :smile:

No, it was a song in the 90's. Beats International.

Barbabietola Di Chioggia - now there's a beetroot!

Beetroot and Goat's-Cheese Tart.
One of our favourite dishes, when fresh beetroot are forthcoming (Riverford sometimes put them in the box for us).

This is for a small quantity, serves 2-3. You can scale up.

For the pastry:
75 g (3oz) margarine
150g (6oz) plain flour

For the filling:
knob butter
1 red onion sliced
75 ml red wine
1 tbsp wine vinegar
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp thyme
salt and pepper
250g beetroot (cooked and sliced)
150 g soft goat's cheese
1 teaspoon dill

Prepare and blind bake pastry case. Melt butter and gently fry onions until soft. Add wine, vinegar, honey, thyme, salt and pepper, stir, raise heat and cook until almost all the liquid is absorbed and the mix is glossy. Stir in the beetroot and dill. Cut the cheese into thin slices, put some in the base of the tart. Add beetroot mixture and lay rest of cheese slices on top. Check seasoning. Bake in oven at 180° C for about 25minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and golden. Serve warm.

Top Bottom