Before you go off upgrading your road bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Cyclechat only needs two forums:

- NACA, and
- YOUR favourite new stuff that you love is actually pointless overpriced gold-plated taps. Discuss.

Don't start on gold-plated taps!

It's been proven that water flow is smoother and there is less metallic transfer to the water when using them.

Besides It's my money and I can buy what I like. 😋

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
i think you mean disc, each to their own but I can't understanding anyone using rim brakes settling for cable operated ones, when rod operated worked perfectly for years, why modernise when you can live in the past :laugh:

Is there such a thing as a D2 bike fitted with rim brakes? That really does seem an odd choice.

Ooops! Thanks. Corrected.

Jameshow

Veteran
I need all those upgrades just to get me to the front of the coffee shop queue, which if I'd missed it for a month would have made a bigger difference than all those upgrades!🤣🤣🤣

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member
minimum specified 85psi of tubed
I run my tubed 28mm at less than 85psi, and I going to die?

seriously minimum specified psi rating?? new one on me.

btw i accept you can get away with a lower pressure on tubeless due to lack on pinch puncture risk and thus it can be subjectively comfier.

alex_cycles

Veteran
I run my tubed 28mm at less than 85psi, and I going to die?
Yes. You ARE going to die. We just don't know when and how. :laugh: Quite likely it will not relate to your choice of tubed/tubeless though

seriously minimum specified psi rating?? new one on me.

I will get you a picture of the tyre sidewall where a min/max range is specified. This is a Specialized Roubaix Pro tubed tyre with a pressure range of 85-95 psi specified (on rimmed wheel - boo, hiss :laugh:)

IMG_20220816_145053.jpg

This is a Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless Easy with a pressure range of 60-95psi specified...
IMG_20220816_145206.jpg

Last edited:

pawl

Legendary Member
I commute through winter, including steep descents.

I have never, ever had to apply brakes "fully clamped on".

The on,y time I had to clamp my brakes on was back in the days o chrome rims and Weiman brakes I’ve never had a problem with my current modern rims and Ultegra brakes.And none of my bikes have gear cables that disappear down a hole in the frame to emerge somewhere at the back of the bike. I know dinosaurs disappeared many millennials ago but this one is still alive and well.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Change is driven by the young and the newcomers to the sport, a bunch of old coffin dodgers bleating "Why are you doing it like that, do it like this it's how we've always done it" gets no more than muffled giggles and rolled eyes.

It was the same when I started in the sixties and has continued with every new innovation since. The Luddites were left to dribble into their drinks while the world moved on, and thank God it did because the bikes of today are far superior to those of twenty years ago, never mind fifty.

Adam4868

Guru
I've both rim brake and hydraulic disc.Ive not noticed either failing to stop me,even in the wet downhill.
I'd say the disc annoy me more as there forever squeeling ! Just put new pads in and there still at it.

Top Bottom