Before you go off upgrading your road bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Health reasons will be why I have to , or maybe if I have to do a longer commute.

Mine was health too….broken right knee joint playing football back nearly 16yrs ago, was causing me issues on the 11mile climb to home. E bike made it so much easier, while still enjoying the commute.

icowden

Veteran
I've seen it referred to on GCN. I believe it's a poncy marketing term for the area where the stem and bars meet, which on 'spensive bikes is usually carbon, integrated (cables through it) and super duper aero ^_^
It's on even the cheaper poncy carbon bikes. I have a Trek Domane SL5 which has an integrated cockpit! Looks good but a bugger if a cable goes.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Not mentioned so far is the need for a stiffer fork on disc braked bikes resulting in a harsher ride; this can be offset with larger capacity tyres, with a weight penalty.

My 1974 Raleigh subjectively has a better ride quality than my 2021 Spa:blush:

Alex321

Veteran
Seriously though WTF is a cockpit on a bike?

It is the term used by cycling "journalists" to refer to the area containing the controls - I.e. Handlebars shifters/brake levers, and they usually include the stem I believe.

An "integrated cockpit" means you can't see (or get at) the cables/hoses at all. They aren't just under the bar tape, they are inside the handlebars & stem.

Alex321

Veteran
Sti were revolutionary, as are carbon frames, not to mention factory wheels and di2....

True, but STI was introduced 33 years ago (1990). The first commercially available carbon framed bike was produced 37 years ago (1986). Di2 was only just over 20 years ago, in 2001, but it still was available 20 years ago. Not quite sure what you mean by "factory wheels".

Go back 35 years, the changes have been revolutionary. Go back 20 years, they have been more incremental and evolutionary.

However, when I reflect on comp record times for 25 miles, they have improved from 52 minutes in 1966 to today's 42 minute ride. That's a colossal improvement. Even mind blowing when you think that at 30mph, they cover 5 miles in 10 minutes. Can you imagine the great Dave Dungworth being dropped for 5 miles compared with current holder.

How much of that is due to better bikes and how much to better training, nutrition and so on?

D

Deleted member 26715

It is the term used by cycling "journalists" to refer to the area containing the controls - I.e. Handlebars shifters/brake levers, and they usually include the stem I believe.

An "integrated cockpit" means you can't see (or get at) the cables/hoses at all. They aren't just under the bar tape, they are inside the handlebars & stem.
Thanks, so as said marketing/journo BS, do they not appreciate how stupid it sounds, but heyho each to their own

iandg

Legendary Member
I tried tubeless and gave up (2 side wall gashes that needed a boot and a tube to get home in 5 rides) so went back to tubes.

Never tried discs.
Rode 3 cyclo-cross races this year (for the first time in over 45 years). The race I did best in was the wettest and muddiest event of the 3 with more technical descents and demand on braking. I rode a Surly Cross-Check with linear pull rim brakes and pink Kool-Stop pads. I didn't seem to be at a disadvantage to all the disc brake riders and stayed on the bike without crashing as a result of inferior brakes. I only saw one other rim -braked bike in the race, a lovely classic Ritchey. However, if I needed a new bike I'd probably get something with discs because that's what manufacturers are flooding the market with.

The other upgrades are possibly more relevant to the racing community.
When I was racing (late 70s/early 80s) I looked for technical improvements that may have given competitive advantage but, now as a leisure cyclist, I'm not someone who upgrades for the sake of it and ride components until they're worn out or need changing.

A new bike seems unlikely in the next few years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Should I uninstall any offending items ?

why are you asking me, I didn't write the article.:laugh:

But if you have wasted your money on an oversized ceramic bearing equipped jockey wheel, I would suggest it would be churlish to bin it.

The rest are merely talking points

Top Bottom