Before you go off upgrading your road bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My bingo card is filling up nicely. Just sayin' ...

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I will have to at some point but I'm putting it as long as possible

I put it off for a while after a work colleague told me to get one for the 30mile round trip commute and he said i wouldnt regret it…..delayed a year and now glad i got them both.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Change is driven by the young and the newcomers to the sport, a bunch of old coffin dodgers bleating "Why are you doing it like that, do it like this it's how we've always done it" gets no more than muffled giggles and rolled eyes.

It was the same when I started in the sixties and has continued with every new innovation since. The Luddites were left to dribble into their drinks while the world moved on, and thank God it did because the bikes of today are far superior to those of twenty years ago, never mind fifty.

Some innovations are absolutely game changing.

Lighting on bikes is infinitely superior to what it was with LEDs and Li batteries.

To the road cyclist, I don't think there's been another innovation which has made today's bikes "far superior" in the last 20 years.

I bought a 10 speed compact double aluminium road bike about 20 years ago. There's really no substantial difference to modern bikes. Purely marginal and incremental.

MTBs moreso, perhaps.

Ebikes, certainly.

icowden

Veteran
  • oversized jockey wheels - looked these up. If you are a top end super dooper speedy racer the evidence is that they make a difference
  • integrated cockpits - my bike has one, I didn't choose it for that, but you tend to go with what the bike has surely?
  • top end group set - agreed, just go with what the bike has unless you are a super-dooper speedy racer
  • road tubeless - agreed, they seem to be more hassle than they are worth
  • ceramic bearings -looked these up. If you are a top end super dooper speedy racer the evidence is that they make a difference
  • road disc brakes - again, my bike came with disc brakes, it wasn't a "choice".

Here's my hot take!! Some things are aimed at the sort of people that want to lose 10 grams from the weight of the bike rather than 2kg from the stomach of the bloke / lady on the bike (I am this latter category).

D

Deleted member 26715

What's an integrated cockpit?

Is it a screen & wipers, surely that will slow you down into a headwind?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
An interesting (albeit a year old) read whichever braking camp you are in:

https://www.rouleur.cc/blogs/the-rouleur-journal/the-inevitability-of-disc-brakes

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I put it off for a while after a work colleague told me to get one for the 30mile round trip commute and he said i wouldnt regret it…..delayed a year and now glad i got them both.

Health reasons will be why I have to , or maybe if I have to do a longer commute.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Or clever marketeers who convince the naive young that they need to prove themselves by doing it a different way although the existing way is the best & they will eventually realise that.

That's what we were being told fifty years ago. We'd still be on steel frames, five speed blocks and down tube friction shifters if we'd taken notice.

Jameshow

Veteran
Some innovations are absolutely game changing.

Lighting on bikes is infinitely superior to what it was with LEDs and Li batteries.

To the road cyclist, I don't think there's been another innovation which has made today's bikes "far superior" in the last 20 years.

I bought a 10 speed compact double aluminium road bike about 20 years ago. There's really no substantial difference to modern bikes. Purely marginal and incremental.

MTBs moreso, perhaps.

Ebikes, certainly.

Sti were revolutionary, as are carbon frames, not to mention factory wheels and di2....

Top Bottom