Beginners route suggestions please - Birmingham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lozcs

Guru
About 8 people from work (plus I imagine most will bring partners) in central Birmingham have decided we should have a work cycle day.

As the token cyclist I have been tasked with deciding a route.

There are complete beginners and some want to stay off road - I suspect 10 miles pub stop and 10 miles back would be an ideal distance.

Meeting at work would be easier logistically as a few don't have cars but most could arrive by train.

First thought was 'Dudley Dash' - meet at work, cycle canal to Black Country Museum - eat there and back again? Although not sure if we will be able to access pub/cafe without full admission.

Any suggestions for a route?

OP
OP
lozcs

lozcs

Guru
Pie factory sounds like a nice idea.. I'll suggest that tomorrow....

I've not done the canal route that side of town before, so will give it a trial run beforehand...

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
can I suggest a one way ride with a return by train - I know that Chiltern trains will take a fair few bikes (depending on the time of day), and if you wind up at a cafe or pub the return could be staggered. (I may rephrase that....)

22 miles would get you to Warwick.

If you're really looking for inspiration, why not contact this lot and ask for help http://www.ctc-heartofengland.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=79&Itemid=59 you might even get some help on the day

Recycler

There are complete beginners and some want to stay off road - I suspect 10 miles pub stop and 10 miles back would be an ideal distance.

I would guess that that would be too much for some. Unless you know that they are all reasonably fit I would go for a shorter run.

robgul

Legendary Member
My 2p ....

1 Avoid the Pie Factory at Tipton ... it's now but a shadow of its former self, scruffy, poor quality and high-risk area for bike theft. The canal ride suggested to get to Tipton is pretty poor surface and not a good cycling experience for this sort of outing - if you want people to enjoy it and ride again, then try ......

2 Get on the train from Moor St to either a station at or near Stratford - or Chiltern Line to Hatton or Wawick Parkway - all options get you immediately onto quiet lanes, and lots of pubs and cafe opportunities.

Rob (who happens to be the www.ctc-heartofengland.org.uk webmaster too)

OP
OP
lozcs

lozcs

Guru
My 2p ....

1 Avoid the Pie Factory at Tipton ... it's now but a shadow of its former self, scruffy, poor quality and high-risk area for bike theft. The canal ride suggested to get to Tipton is pretty poor surface and not a good cycling experience for this sort of outing - if you want people to enjoy it and ride again, then try ......

2 Get on the train from Moor St to either a station at or near Stratford - or Chiltern Line to Hatton or Wawick Parkway - all options get you immediately onto quiet lanes, and lots of pubs and cafe opportunities.

Rob (who happens to be the www.ctc-heartofengland.org.uk webmaster too)

Thanks for tips...

Problem with travelling by train is that there is likely to be about 20 of us - can't imagine all getting on one train! Maybe have to stagger over a few trains...

robgul

Legendary Member
Our record for bikes on one train is 15 on the SuA - Moor St line ... in theory 20 is possible, just spread out along the train!

Rob

Top Bottom