Bells

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 23692

Oooh mis-quoting me for effect. Very clever ;)

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I possess the power of speech, so I've no need for a bell :smile:
Agree, used in a polite and friendly manner for shared paths etc with the added benefit of telling people of your intention, hello can I come by on your left/right, works fine every day for me rather than a non directional ding ding. Never had an adverse comment in 30 years of not using bells

Ningishzidda

All my bikes have a bell. They are in a drawer in the shed.

C'mon someone, tell the one about your bike won the 'no bell' prize,,,,

I've put bells on all the family's bicycles. The kids have removed them from one or two, but they remain on mine.

One of them is has a Thunerbirds pictue on it and another has a Thomas (as in tank engine). These are from when the children were younger; they no longer think them cool, but I do.

I am a firm believer in the benefit of bells on bicycles. They seem to make people aware of my presence without startling them of pissing them off.

I do not go for those modern ones that have a sort of 'flicky thing'. I like the thumb lever that rotates a rotating thingy inside the bell thingy.

Proper bells. I've had a bell on my bicycle since decades before Captain Loonypants and his Highway Avenger Alter Ego took air horns into the realms of Youtube... But his rampant egomaniacal absurditude just makes me love my bell even more.

on the road

Über Member
No bell on my bike, no point as I hardly ever use a cycle path.

avalon

Guru
I have a bell somewhere in the shed.
Cycling on the canal is a bugger at the weekend near Saltaire, if I use a bell, walkers often tut and roll their eyes before deigning to let me pass and this s.h.a.r.e.d path. :cursing: Sometimes I'll change tactic and offer a polite "Excuse me" , this will often elicit a "Haven't you got a f****n bell"! :huh: You can't win.

PS When out walking on the canal, cyclists don't half get on my tits.
I take it that would be the Yorkshire women who give you the abuse as in my experience Yorkshire men are friendly.

Velo711

I've got one on my urban bike. It used to do the trick a few years back. Now everybody has I pods and are completely
oblivious to their surroundings.

MarkF

Guru
I take it that would be the Yorkshire women who give you the abuse as in my experience Yorkshire men are friendly.

50/50 men & women, the elderly are worse along with dog walkers. The latter often use those extendable dog leads............on a busy canal towpath.

Yes..... but I have a habit of falling off!

bells-whisky-help-for-heroes.jpg

Top Bottom