Bells

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
More seriously though

Depends on the bike.

On the Christiania and the Delibike the big "Ice Cream Bells" are appropriate,as they are on the Thorn tourers. They look out of place on the Birdys or Bromptons though.

Commuting on the recumbents need the assurance and presence of an AirZound

Only wear them when dancing (see my forum name) :rolleyes:

amm_bike.jpg

Cyclopathic

Veteran
When I'm out walking along shared paths I would much rather a cyclist used a bell than just hurtling past. It puts the willies right up me. Also when riding my bike I find people generally appreciate a ring to let them know I'm behind them. It's the courteous thing to do.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Both Bromptons have bells. Standard issue pingy job on the M6R and a proper one on the L5. Useful for getting attention/eye contact with peds; passing can then be safely negotiated by further eye contact or signs/talk. Avoids scenario where they spot you late and dance about like a rabbit in headlights.

LSE students have no road sense whatsoever so it gets used to mean OY!!! round Lincoln's Inn/Carey St. .

sheffgirl

I have two on my bike, the one that came with it was awkward to I put the one that was on my old bike on it, and never bothered taking the other one off. I've used it a few times today, I was cycling through the woods, and they have recently re-done the path with gravel so most of the groups of people heard me coming. Those who didn't I used my bell and then smiled and said thankyou as I passed. I'm reluctant to use it unless necessary, and I prefer to use it as a warning rather than using it to make people move out of them way. I had to jump off for a large juvenile Alsatian dog who was off lead and seemed to find me so interesting that he stopped in front of me. He was so gorgeous and friendly that I forgave him though :smile:

Yes to a bell for me. I mostly ride my MTB on bridleways, and I prefer to warn walkers of my approach with the bell, than just to ride past and put the fear of the almighty into them......

If I was a walker, I would prefer an audible warning from an approaching bike than just have one come blasting past......

ShipHill

I've got the standard silly wee bell that came with my new Boardman and I'll leave it on there.

On a previous bike which had a standard Halfords bell, I'd give it a wee ding and people would go "alright alright" in a really sarcastic tone and only half get out the way....

A guy at work who cycles way more than me just shouts "coming through on the left/right" and says that's the best way he's found to move half soaked peds.

I've resorted to giving out a rather loud cough. :becool: People move without comment or attitude I've noticed.

Humans are weird.

Top Bottom