BELT-DRIVE BIKES

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

http://bicycledoctor.wordpress.com/2009/06/27/belt-up/

Any thoughts?

img_0419.jpg

ASC1951

Guru
Only usable on a fixed or singlespeed, I guess. I can see some attraction around town for the mechanically incompetent, but that's all. A chain is cheaper, probably lighter and crucially you can repair it if it snaps on the road.

dodgy

Well James Bowthorpe has just finished his around the world trip using one. I've read that the belt is lighter and stronger than a chain but don't expect me to argue for or against it, I haven't tried one yet.
I do think it's very encouraging.

tyred

Legendary Member
I've always liked the idea of this. It's not just for single speed. Should work well with a Sturmey or other hub gear. I would imagine it would be a lot quieter than a chain, would be lighter and doesn't need oiled, therefore less messy. This would make it excellent for folding bikes. Anytime I put my folding Raleigh into the car, I usually seem to get oil of the chain all over my clothes. The Strida has a belt drive, presumeably for this reason and rides as well as can be expected given the design of the bike.

Anyone who doubts the strength of a belt look at the stresses and strains the cam belt on a high reving engine takes for maybe 50,000 plus miles.

ASC1951

Guru
dodgy said:
.. don't expect me to argue for or against it, I haven't tried one yet.
Pah! When did that ever stop anyone on C+?

I'm sure belt drive is extremely durable and trouble free, which is why JB specified it. However, I don't see how you get round the gear-changing problem without using a hub gear. JB's bike was fitted with a Rohloff and as that hub alone is more than most people spend on an entire bike, it's hardly a proposition for the general rider.

OTOH I do ride fixed a lot of the time and a 100% bombproof drive would have saved a couple of hedge-dives. Maybe I should investigate....

dodgy

Well a Rohloff is what a bikey would specify, but a Shimano alfine would do, a lot cheaper and still works well enough.

I'm sure that chains are supposed to be something like 97% efficient, and would imagine (though I stand to be corrected) that belt drive will be less due to frictional losses from between the belt and the pulleys.
You don't need to lube belts though :smile:

dodgy

In the short term I can see belt drive bikes quite useful for specific applications, possibly not the solution for the performance obsessed just yet though.

The biggest problem I can see is you either need a join in the belt or you need a frame that allows the belt to pass through the rear triangle for fitting.

The former may add either a less supple or weak spot, the latter requires frames specific for this drive type so you can't retrofit to an old one.

I assume tension would be maintained/adjusted via horizontal dropouts or track ends.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
There were some spaceframe Moultons produced with belt drives, I believe. If I recall, they were Bentley branded, and had a joint rather like an S&S coupler to slip the belt through. They had specially-machined chainwheels and sprockets, and hub gears.

Belts are rather better now than they were then, and of course bikes with swing-arm suspension get around the need for a joint in the frame for the belt to go through.

ASC1951

Guru
Touche said:
The biggest problem I can see is you either need a join in the belt or you need a frame that allows the belt to pass through the rear triangle for fitting.
Hrrump. I was about to get on the phone to Orange to see if they could sell me a belt, sprocket and chainwheel. What a fool I would have felt five minutes after unpacking it...:biggrin:

Top Bottom