Bent front derailleur - advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Serge

Über Member
I managed to throw my chain today as is I simultaneously changed down and crashed over a giant pothole. The chain managed to get jammed against the frame as I layed on the power resulting in bending the front derailleur.

I've spent about three hours this afternoon trying to get it straight and I'd appreciate some opinions about how straight it is.

DSC_0983.JPG
DSC_0984.JPG
DSC_0985.JPG

I've taken it out for a quick bimble and it seems OK, but I know you guys and guyesses know a damn sight more than me so I'd appreciate a bit of advice.

Slick

Guru
If it works without too much trim then it's straight. :okay:

OP
OP
Serge

Serge

Über Member
Is it just me or is it a a bit of a design defect where the chain can get so badly jammed against the frame?

I managed to take a good chunk out of my thumb freeing it.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Cheers guys, just don't want to throw the damn chain again on the commute at 05:00.

Was it the actual derailleur that bent or just got whacked out of line round the seat tube?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As far as I can tell from your pics it looks spot on. To double check look from directly above to see the cage is aligned with the chain wheel . If its functioning normally I should leave it.

front_derailleur_adjustment.jpg

Ajax Bay

Guru
I simultaneously changed down and crashed over a giant pothole. The chain managed to get jammed against the frame as I layed on the power
is it a a bit of a design defect where the chain can get so badly jammed against the frame?
No it's a rider defect. A rider should avoid changing down when applying 'power'. Change down earlier, or put a bit of power down, and then ease off, change down, and then power back on.
Posters have suggested upthread ways to mitigate the risk of throwing the chain off to the inside.
Edited to add: your fettled FD looks fine to me (in the pictures).

Last edited:
Top Bottom