Berlin police confiscating fixed wheel bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Why would anyone want to ride a bike without brakes unless you were on a track?!!!

OP
OP
Y

yello

I'm presuming German law is similar to UK law in it's requirement for brakes on bikes. Do you see fixed wheeled bikes with no brakes on the road in the UK? I'm sure the answer is yes.

As to why, couldn't say. Preference?

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Yes - I think, in the UK, if you have a fixed gear you only require a front brake - but less than that would seem daft if you fancied stopping in a hurry IMHO.

Think it's a bit of a youngsters bravado fashion type thing. Confiscation seems rather harsh though, I'd have thought 'wheel it home son and get a brake on it' would be enough.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Ah, evil thought......now I can get a collection of fixies...watch out if you're riding with no brakes in Peterborough the vikings coming to get your bike.....

threebikesmcginty said:
Yes - I think, in the UK, if you have a fixed gear you only require a front brake - but less than that would seem daft if you fancied stopping in a hurry IMHO.

Think it's a bit of a youngsters bravado fashion type thing. Confiscation seems rather harsh though, I'd have thought 'wheel it home son and get a brake on it' would be enough.

They confiscate and crush cars parked on the road without valid VED in the UK. VED is not a safety requirement for either the driver or anyone around it.

robin IX

Road tax is a legal requirement hence the crushing cars, brakes on bikes are a legal requirement so why not confiscate bikes?
Not saying its right but then there would at least be some consistency.

Will1985

Über Member
robin IX said:
VED is a legal requirement
Fixed that for you :angry:

Interestingly I was chatting to local plod for campus and environs having noted a proliferation of brakeless BMXs and a couple of fixed wheels, and they said they wouldn't take any action against brakeless riders unless one caused physical injury to someone else as in their opinion the "law" is vague on the subject...

Will1985 said:
Fixed that for you :angry:

Interestingly I was chatting to local plod for campus and environs having noted a proliferation of brakeless BMXs and a couple of fixed wheels, and they said they wouldn't take any action against brakeless riders unless one caused physical injury to someone else as in their opinion the "law" is vague on the subject...

Then they could be charged with dereliction of duty.

Rules and regs regarding construction and use for cycles ridden on the roads in the UK are HERE

OP
OP
Y

yello

A court in Bonn has declared a fixed gear to be as good as a rear brake.

http://www.pd-f.de/Archiv/2009/Bonner-Richter-erklaren-starren-Antrieb-zur-Bremse.html

Synopsis, from my poor translation. A guy on a fixie trackstanding at some lights attracted the attention of plod who then booked him for, amongst other things, no brakes. Aggrieved fixie rider went to court and was able to show that the fixed gear was an effective rear brake and complied with the legal definition of a braking device. The court accepted the argument and reduced the charge to one of missing a bell and reflectors.

brodie

yello said:
A court in Bonn has declared a fixed gear to be as good as a rear brake.

http://www.pd-f.de/Archiv/2009/Bonner-Richter-erklaren-starren-Antrieb-zur-Bremse.html

Synopsis, from my poor translation. A guy on a fixie trackstanding at some lights attracted the attention of plod who then booked him for, amongst other things, no brakes. Aggrieved fixie rider went to court and was able to show that the fixed gear was an effective rear brake and complied with the legal definition of a braking device. The court accepted the argument and reduced the charge to one of missing a bell and reflectors.

What, German law only requires a bike to have just a rear brake?

A rear brake by itself is quite ineffective for stopping, whether it's a mechanical brake or fixed wheel.

As we all know, the UK law is two brakes on a bike, with a fixed wheel counting as one brake.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
brodie said:
What, German law only requires a bike to have just a rear brake?

A rear brake by itself is quite ineffective for stopping, whether it's a mechanical brake or fixed wheel.

As we all know, the UK law is two brakes on a bike, with a fixed wheel counting as one brake.

In Holland, ive seen bikes there with just the coaster brake and thats it. Same in some other places aswell.

Top Bottom