Best commuter pannier?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is for my son who's a student in London. So it needs to be big enough and tough enough to carry files, laptop etc.....

I was thinking Ortlieb, Altura etc. Probably just one pannier (I know) as he will still carry a rucksack. Not super expensive either, he's funding it.

MarkF

Guru
I bought a Cordo Transvaal for my lad's college days, today I use it for more than I ever do my larger panniers. Comfy to wear off the bike too with a flap covering the rack clips..

straas

Matt
I've used carradice panniers for the last few years. There's no internal organisers but it's big and very waterproof.

Not the most comfortable to carry off the bike though.

Ortlieb City Rollers.

Yes they are dear but they are quality and the after sales is good (e.g. if you break the bracket or other peripheral bits, you can buy replacements).

They're also in pairs so if your son only needs one and he knows someone else who needs the other he can go halves.

56 quid from Rutland (don't forget to click through from here)

OP
OP
C

Crackle

The wealth of different models for the Back Rollers is confusing but I expect they're all basically the same.

The wealth of different models for the Back Rollers is confusing but I expect they're all basically the same.
There are two types of clip even on the same model. That's not all that important until you come to repair one so, if you do decide on Ortlieb then make a note of which clip system you got.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LZKFADY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_L-H3zb8JJ1NF3

I have the 2016 models. Rolltop fastening with a lid makes them waterproof. Mine are actually airtight for brief periods. Nothing's getting in.
Plenty big enough and they'll do left or right just by tweaking the clip positions.
Heavy though.

I have a set of these too and agree with everything @Vantage says.

Plus, if you want a pocket, they clip on rather than the scary “make holes in your pannier” approach.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Cyclin...8088920&sr=1-17&keywords=red+cycling+products

Top Bottom