Best CX bike for £1000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mythste

Veteran
My Tuppence,

I own a Focus Mares AX 3.0 and im well and truly in love. not the best spec for the price, but felt right under my arse! doing newcastle to liverpool on her this month :smile:

Tried the CAADX105, a bit racy for me, frame felt overly stiff and twitchy for my requirements (commuting with panniers over questionable terrain all year)
Tried the Bianchi Zurigo, just a bit uninspiring all around
Tried the Giant Anyroad and Roam, both a bit crap compared to the above 3!

OP
OP
R

ricgreen

Wafer

Do you rate it up there for the money ?

outlash

also available in orange
Outflash/All

Which CAADX model has the disc brake you mention ?

Which model do you recommend?

Thanks

The CAADX is basically the same frame across the board (the Tiagra version and up has a BB30 bottom bracket, lower models have a square taper BB), the main differences are the groupsets get better as you go up the price scale as does some of the finishing kit. Personally, I don't have a problem with Tiagra but for a £100 more you can get the 105 version, both under a grand.

Try before you buy though, Cannondales do come up a bit bigger than some other makes, especially the CX models. I have two Cannondales with a 58cm frame but my Genesis is a 60.

Tony.

OP
OP
R

ricgreen

So are you that convinced by the Giant anyroad 2 ?

Would you definitely say that's the best option for the money in your view ?

Thanks

OP
OP
R

ricgreen

Cyclists33
That's very true ha ha

Although it will be my bike I would like yours and all suggestions

Thanks

Cyclist33

Cyclist33

I'm guessing the Giant anyroad 2
Would not be your choice ?

Thanks

I'd get a road bike!

Wafer

Veteran
Wafer

Do you rate it up there for the money ?

Had one been available when I was buying it's what I was going to get. I ended up getting a synapse instead which is fairly similar but Road bike instead of cx. Overall I'm very happy, I want to upgrade the wheels and I still want a cx style bike but it's perfectly fine as a bike and I'm sure the caadx would've been fine too.

OP
OP
R

ricgreen

Thanks wafer

So can you name/nail me your 3/4/5 choices if it was your £1000+
And if you could choose today ?

Thanks

Wafer

Veteran
My Tuppence,

I own a Focus Mares AX 3.0 and im well and truly in love. not the best spec for the price, but felt right under my arse! doing newcastle to liverpool on her this month :smile:

That's currently top of my list for n+1, got mudguards fit? Upgraded anything on it? Is it this year's with their new RAT thing? Any good?

Thanks wafer

So can you name/nail me your 3/4/5 choices if it was your £1000+
And if you could choose today ?

Thanks

It would be pending trying them out but
focus mares ax 3.0
Pinnacle arkose 3
Merida cyclocross 500
Also tempted to find a bit more money for Genesis cdf20
If I was happy to order online I'd look to rose pro dx cross
Only reason I'm not looking at cannondale caadx 105 is because I already have a cannondale and want something different.

Top Bottom