Best CX bike for £1000

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tonyg52

I bought the giant TCX SLR1 got a deal from the LBS £950.00 for the basic bike. Set it up for light touring and
have just returned fro Italy after riding 1,900 km's no mechanical problems disc brakes worked superbly,
Very pleased with the comfort and performance of this bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
Might be worth reading some reviews. However, it's much more important what you think and feel when riding not other people. Go get some test rides

OP
OP
R

ricgreen

Thanks vickster

I will read the reviews and after that I will go for some test rides

All I'm looking to do from this excellent site is get the best info and advice on the best value money can buy with all the suggestions taken on board.

Sorry if I'm asking to many same old questions
I understand that all the advice in the world won't convince me on the best bike until I try them

Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
Define value for money. If the bike isn't right for you, it's a waste of money as you'll inevitably sell it on at a loss or not ride it, letting it fester in the shed. Been there, done that. Now I buy the bikes that I like, not those of the reviewers or forum members. They help to form a shortlist, but you could do that by going to a few local shops which stock the range of brands, they don't help decide what bike is right for you :smile:

For example, trek and specialized look like poor value for money at face value if you just look at the components, but they would argue that they put lots of money into the r&d of their frames. That might be true, they also have big marketing budgets and sponsor expensive pro teams but that's me being cynical!

Personally, I'd say that the best value for money bike is likely to be last year's or the years before being sold off at a discount. Manufacturers only change their actual frame and componentry every few years, so often it's only the colour of the frame that's different, depending on the fashion for that year.

If you go test ride, using the shops time and resources, try not to then just buy the bike cheaper somewhere online...try to negotiate a doscount or some free stuff from the LBS ;)

mythste

Veteran
That's currently top of my list for n+1, got mudguards fit? Upgraded anything on it? Is it this year's with their new RAT thing? Any good?

Mudguard fittings for rear only. It does indeed have the Rapid through Axle business. I don't have enough experience to confidently say whether or not it affects the ride, but it is very smooth, even with 120PSI gators on - and super quick and easy to remove wheels!

Wafer

Veteran
Mudguard fittings for rear only. It does indeed have the Rapid through Axle business. I don't have enough experience to confidently say whether or not it affects the ride, but it is very smooth, even with 120PSI gators on - and super quick and easy to remove wheels!

Cool, thanks. My Synapse has disc brakes but normal quick release wheels, I find that I have to adjust the brakes a lot more if I keep taking the wheel off (which I had been doing to get it in the car more easily) so interested in different ways of doing things. The RAT sounded like it should resolve that problem.

mythste

Veteran
Cool, thanks. My Synapse has disc brakes but normal quick release wheels, I find that I have to adjust the brakes a lot more if I keep taking the wheel off (which I had been doing to get it in the car more easily) so interested in different ways of doing things. The RAT sounded like it should resolve that problem.

Yeah, I guess in theory less vertical possibility of movement would negate that! I've had the wheels off a number of times and never needed to adjust the brakes beyond normal wear limits.

I'm trying really hard to think of things I don't like about it to keep the comments fair! Uhm, I think the tiagra chainset is ugly as sin? I have been having some chain/cassette issues but I'm pretty sure that's down to me not realizing the consequences of cross chaining everywhere. I suppose shes a touch heavy, but knowing I can throw her round all sorts of terrain and watching my housemate cringe every time we hit less than perfect roads on his Culebro is a good trade off for that!

OP
OP
R

ricgreen

I have are several Halfords around where I live in Warwickshire
I could do some digging around
Or
Travel the Midlands for a good Halfords I guess

Top Bottom