Best cycling shorts for first tour (in tropical Central America)?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Green28

In not much over a week I’m embarking on a multi-year tour / working holiday in Costa Rica and Panama for the fist 6 months and then a few years in Australia and New Zealand. I’ve only ever been to a few countries in Europe (I'm British) and never a hot country before, while I only started cycling as an adult this year and I've never toured or cycle camped yet, so I’m jumping in the deep-end somewhat and don’t know what I’m doing that well yet.

I’ve figured out most of my kit selections by now after lots of research and reading of kit lists and reviews but I’m struggling with what cycling shorts best suited to the tropical heat. I’ve never worn cycling specific clothing before.

I want baggy shorts or suggestions for two shorts to wear layered on top, I flat out refuse to wear just lycra, especially as I’m unfit and probably bordering on overweight right now.

I’m finding most shops selling mostly or entirely black shorts, which I gather is the last colour wanted for tropical heat/humidity.

I’m going to be sitting on a Brooks Flyer Special saddle, which I gather reduces the need for padding like many cycle shorts have.

Any suggestions on what sort of features I want or don’t want or specific makes or shorts I should go for?

Wobblers

Euthermic
It's difficult to give meaningful advice, because shorts are a very personal thing - what works for me might not necessarily work for you. Saying that, many people swear by Assos shorts (and they come in other colours other than black). They are hugely expensive, though! I've found Santini shorts with their extech insert almost as good. These ones are supposedly designed with touring in mind. If you're not keen on lycra you could just wear a pair of light coloured baggy shorts over them - have a look at baggy shorts orientated towards mountain bike riders, there's plenty of choice. But you might find something works better for you - unfortunately one week's not enough time to find out.

If it's hot then sweating/chaffing/saddle sores could be a problem. I'd use some sort of chamois cream - sudocreme is cheap and works reasonably well. Assos also do (fairly expensive!) chamois cream, but it's recommended by a good many people - though I've not tried it myself. Make sure you wash your shorts at the end of every day! Cleanliness goes a very long way to preventing problems in places you Really Don't Want Problems!

It's best to use a saddle that you're comfortable with - is your Brooks broken in? And are you comfortable with it? I hope so, because a week is far too short a time to try to break in a Brooks saddle...

Finally, it would be a good idea to ask the people over on the CTC forum as there are quite a few cycle tourists who've dealt with exactly the sort of hot humid conditions you'll be facing. They'll be able to give you better advice than I. Good luck with the tour!

Fiona N

Veteran
Look at the baggies / mtb shorts with detachable liners. I use Gore Bike Wear (women-specific) 3/4 baggies for touring where I need to be 'modest' and it's really great that you can buy extra inner padded shorts to go with the outer pair. Gore also have mesh inner shorts (warning - not really decent to wear without trousers, 3/4 or shorts over them) which would be good in a hot climate. The non-mesh ones are more like normal padded lycra shorts so you could always wear without the outer layer.

P.S> forgot to add that Gore often have their baggies in kind of beige/stone/light khaki colour which might be a bit more practical than black - but red tropical mud does tend to get engrained so you end up with a dirty bum patch :smile:

Top Bottom