Best Drummer Ever

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Must admit I do like military bands, especially the Royal Marines and Black Watch.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWgR56LsD3I

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM3lSOLv9Ow

An interesting fact: two of the most popular British bands ever - The Beatles and the Rolling Stones fall at the opposite end of this spectrum as far as their drummers go.
i once read that during an interview, john lennon was asked if hr thought ringo starr was one of the worlds best drummers................. lennon replied, ringo isnt even the best drummer in the beatles

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
i once read that during an interview, john lennon was asked if hr thought ringo starr was one of the worlds best drummers................. lennon replied, ringo isnt even the best drummer in the beatles
Sometimes Lennon, sometime McCartney. A myth.

Ringo was a good solid drummer, nothing spectacular but he did the job required.

D

Deleted member 23692

Just to add someone who is both recent and still alive, Dave Grohl
Grohl's secret to making people think he's actually good at anything is making everything he does look so damn strenuous/difficult/hard

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Let's not get off conventional western drumming then .
:tongue:

Perhaps you should try Taiko sometime. You'd be lucky if you can physically manage what Eitetsu Hayashi does for more than about 5 minutes, let alone master the power modulation, rhythmic complexities and musical subtleties. I've been drumming for a few years now, and I can assure that what he does is almost otherworldly. And in general, when heard in real life, Taiko as practiced by its best exponents produces a bodily effect like few other musical experiences.

Perhaps you should try Taiko sometime. You'd be lucky if you can physically manage what Eitetsu Hayashi does for more than about 5 minutes, let alone master the power modulation, rhythmic complexities and musical subtleties. I've been drumming for a few years now, and I can assure that what he does is almost otherworldly. And in general, when heard in real life, Taiko as practiced by its best exponents produces a bodily effect like few other musical experiences.

I was joking of course FM,it is indeed an excellent example.
And thank you for bringing it to my attention.
Seriously.

subaqua

What’s the point
No-one mentioned Ginger Baker yet?

I asked my dad who was a drummer with a band in the sixties ( supported the Beatles at the cavern ) who his best drummers were .

Ginger baker was no 1
Buddy rich no 2
John Bonham no 3
Cozy Powell no 4

He didn't rate Ringo much and reckoned he wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles !

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I've always liked Stephen Morris' drumming. But every member of Joy Division had a very distinctive style and the combination just worked.

I didn't like his drumming in Love Will Tear Us Apart, but I liked his drumming on other tracks. At least on the YouTube clips, not the shitty albums. I heard he was quite a passive person, so tended to speed up when the band sped up rather than trying to keep everyone in time. Lou Reed said something similar of their lady drummer in Velvet Underground.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I didn't like his drumming in Love Will Tear Us Apart, but I liked his drumming on other tracks. At least on the YouTube clips, not the shitty albums. I heard he was quite a passive person, so tended to speed up when the band sped up rather than trying to keep everyone in time. Lou Reed said something similar of their lady drummer in Velvet Underground.
I always had him down as being metronomically precise, as he plays along with loads of drum synths and sequencers.

Anyway, enough of this frivolity. The actual best drumming of all time can be found here, by the guy on bumcrack and cooker:

Top Bottom