Best Drummer Ever

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Uriel Jones
Al Jackson
Clyde Stubblefield
Jabo Starks
Gene Krupa
Charlie Watts

...and Keith Moon

Chromatic

Legendary Member
I already gave the correct answer in post #14 of course but seeing as no one has mentioned him yet and I have just started listening to Hallogallo on the gramophone, we must give an honorary mention for Klaus Dinger. Get your Neu! albums out and give them a spin.

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
So how do people define a "Good" drummer....
to me it's one who stands out from the rest of the band. one of my favourite drummers is Pierre Moerlen who played with (and later led) the pixie-rock band Gong. Sometimes, I've listened to an album and have pretty much forgotten about the guitar, bass and vocals because the drums are singing. :music:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
to me it's one who stands out from the rest of the band. one of my favourite drummers is Pierre Moerlen who played with (and later led) the pixie-rock band Gong. Sometimes, I've listened to an album and have pretty much forgotten about the guitar, bass and vocals because the drums are singing. :music:
Then again, maybe the good ones aren't often noticed because their drumming just fits the song.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
So how do people define a "Good" drummer, and what were Ringo's faults that made him a poor one?

Just interested as I have never played drums.

I heard McCartney say they were blown away with Ringo's drumming when he joined them temporarily. I also heard Lennon say Pete Best was a rubbish drummer, who they'd ordered to do one simple, repetitive beat. George Martin wanted to get a session drummer for the recordings, but thought Pete Best was fine for live gigs. I saw a YouTube clip of Pete Best playing drums with his band. He seemed pretty good to me.

Last edited:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Buddy Rich, Art Blakey, Cozy Powell, Neil Peart, Carmine Appice, Sabbath drummer who's name is currently lost in my head. So many down the years.

When asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world John Lennon said that he wasn't even the best drummer in The Beatles.
Many a true word spoken in jest.

Top Bottom