Best everyday, p******e resistant 700x23c tyre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Just so you know the gatorskins are a lot less punture resistant than the schwalbe duranos and the spesh armadillos but they do seem to last for ages.I,ve had 4 armadillos and never had one punture .Ive had 1 gatorskin and was getting a punture every week , i still own it and use it if Im waiting for tyres to arrive but I dont rate them although for miles cycled they must be one of the most cost effective tyres with punture protection you can buy providing you fix the puntures and your not using a new tube when you punture.

If you are getting a puncture per week running Gators, something is wrong...
I had 1 puncture in over a year of commuting on mine and that was caused by running through a huge shard of glass that ripped the casing. I have found them to be slightly sketchy in the wet (on street iron) and not exactly fast but in terms of puncture protection - they are very good, imho.

U

User6179

I had 1 puncture in over a year of commuting on mine and that was caused by running through a huge shard of glass that ripped the casing.
Maybe just bad luck ,was going to cut it open to see if they had forgot to put the punture protection in^_^.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Sounds dodgy to me... sure there is nothing stuck inside the tyre or the rim? Was it in the same spot every time and on the outsie of the tube or the same side as the valve?

I know I'm asking the obvious but it just doesn't sound right :tongue:

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Maybe just bad luck ,was going to cut it open to see if they had forgot to put the punture protection in^_^.
I think bad luck does play a part... but I certainly don't like the sound of 1 puncture a week, especially given I've had 1 in a year (rushes off and touches wood!) :blush:

rb58

Enigma
Durano Plus for commuting would get my vote. I run Gatorskins on another bike, and like Ant says above, find them a little lively in the wet sometimes. Also (and I don't know if it means anything) but all the punctures I've had on them have been in the wet too.

U

User6179

I think bad luck does play a part... but I certainly don't like the sound of 1 puncture a week, especially given I've had 1 in a year (rushes off and touches wood!) :blush:

I do cycle about 250 miles a week so not as bad as it sounds but like I say never had a punture on the spesh armadillo and Ive road everyone till the carcass is visible and still no punture:thumbsup:

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I had 1 puncture in over a year of commuting on mine and that was caused by running through a huge shard of glass that ripped the casing. I have found them to be slightly sketchy in the wet (on street iron) and not exactly fast but in terms of puncture protection - they are very good, imho.
It's always wet around here :rain: ... are the Durano Plus grippier than Gators in the wet :unsure: ?

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I do cycle about 250 miles a week so not as bad as it sounds but like I say never had a punture on the spesh armadillo and Ive road everyone till the carcass is visible and still no punture:thumbsup:
Well, I'm only doing 140 miles a week right now, but I can see me wanting to get out for more weekend runs on the Madone :hyper:

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Durano Plus for commuting would get my vote. I run Gatorskins on another bike, and like Ant says above, find them a little lively in the wet sometimes. Also (and I don't know if it means anything) but all the punctures I've had on them have been in the wet too.
Thanks RB :thumbsup:

U

User6179

Sounds dodgy to me... sure there is nothing stuck inside the tyre or the rim? Was it in the same spot every time and on the outsie of the tube or the same side as the valve?

I know I'm asking the obvious but it just doesn't sound right :tongue:

The tyres been on 3 different wheels so wont be nothing in the rim causing it ,a lot of the puntures were on the sidewall i think and a lot caused by thorns ,the sidewall on mine which is about 4 years old is very thin with zero punture protection.

U

User6179

Well, I'm only doing 140 miles a week right now, but I can see me wanting to get out for more weekend runs on the Madone :hyper:

Maybe you could run two sets of wheels , bombproof wheels and tyres for comute and faster ones for the weekend.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Schwalbe is based near Cologne, in a climate much like ours. Specialized is based in California, which is sunny and rarely rains.

Unsurprisingly, Schwalbe know more about wet-weather tyres than Specialized.

U

User6179

Schwalbe is based near Cologne, in a climate much like ours. Specialized is based in California, which is sunny and rarely rains.

Unsurprisingly, Schwalbe know more about wet-weather tyres than Specialized.

I always thought soft rubber grips better than hard rubber regardless of weather conditions and that wet weather tyres on a racing bike is just a marketing gimmick .

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I always thought soft rubber grips better than hard rubber regardless of weather conditions and that wet weather tyres on a racing bike is just a marketing gimmick .
Sorry - I didn't mean specific wet-weather tyres, I meant tyres that cope with wet conditions. The Spesh Armadillos I've tried have had very hard rubber compared with my favourite Marathons, M+s and Duranos. I suspect that's because Spesh's design teams work somewhere where hard rubber works well!

Top Bottom