Best everyday, p******e resistant 700x23c tyre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User6179

Sorry - I didn't mean specific wet-weather tyres, I meant tyres that cope with wet conditions. The Spesh Armadillos I've tried have had very hard rubber compared with my favourite Marathons, M+s and Duranos. I suspect that's because Spesh's design teams work somewhere where hard rubber works well!

I think i know what your saying ,i have a m+ on front and spesh on the back of my winter bike and it does feel like the m+ is made from softer rubber but I think this is just because the m+ has tread (more give) and the spesh does not . I would guess they are of similar toughness tho.

Zakalwe

Bruce Springsteen bought you a bike? What a guy. Anyway, the boss and I both agree that you need to give Vittoria Rubino Pro's a try.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Bottom line is.. which ever tyres you choose to run you must get into the habit of checking the tyres before and after every ride. Dig out any small piece of flint, glass, crap that has embedded in the tyre. Don't dig it out and it will work it's way in and cause a puncture. So get into the habit... it soon becomes second nature.

D

Deleted member 1258

Bottom line is.. which ever tyres you choose to run you must get into the habit of checking the tyres before and after every ride. Dig out any small piece of flint, glass, crap that has embedded in the tyre. Don't dig it out and it will work it's way in and cause a puncture. So get into the habit... it soon becomes second nature.

I normally do this about once a week.

Just so you know the gatorskins are a lot less punture resistant than the schwalbe duranos and the spesh armadillos but they do seem to last for ages.I,ve had 4 armadillos and never had one punture .Ive had 1 gatorskin and was getting a punture every week , i still own it and use it if Im waiting for tyres to arrive but I dont rate them although for miles cycled they must be one of the most cost effective tyres with punture protection you can buy providing you fix the puntures and your not using a new tube when you punture.

I've got gators on both my road bikes.
I too have had three punctures over two weeks: front and rear on the trek and rear on the coyote.
Each time it was a tiny shard of flint/brick that had pushed through the centreline of the contact patch.
I suspect some areas of the country have more flint on the roads than others.

Never had a glass related puncture on the gators though and i've accidently been over some broken bottles.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Bruce Springsteen bought you a bike? What a guy. Anyway, the boss and I both agree that you need to give Vittoria Rubino Pro's a try.
Not that Boss LOL... but my boss is a very, very nice man (well he is today anyway :biggrin:)

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I've never had a puncture in either my 23c or 25c gatorskins, the 25c gatorskins are pretty well worn too. I've had punctures in conti grand prix tyres well before the tread is worn, and abandoned a pair of michelin krylion carbons after they became puncture magnets, but were amazing for the first 2000km +!

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Bontrager Race Lite Hardcases, I've been running them for a few years now and punctures have been rare.
http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/119612.html
I thought about those, but wondered if their puncture protection is as good as the Durano+..? I thought the Madone might come with these, but I guess Trek chose a grippier, racier tyre instead... the Race Lite Hardcases are a nice price though.

D

Deleted member 1258

I thought about those, but wondered if their puncture protection is as good as the Durano+..? I thought the Madone might come with these, but I guess Trek chose a grippier, racier tyre instead... the Race Lite Hardcases are a nice price though.

I have never used the Durano+ so I don't know how they compare. On my best bike, a Verenti Kilmeston, I put the race lites on as soon as it was delivered, I went almost two years and over three thousand miles before I had my first puncture, I hit a large piece of debris in the road at about eighteen-nineteen mile an hour and wrecked the back tyre. On my fixed, which is my commuter/runabout, I've had two flats this year, both caused by tube failures, one caused by the valve starting to part company with the tube and one by me being clumsy and pinching the tube.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I have never used the Durano+ so I don't know how they compare. On my best bike, a Verenti Kilmeston, I put the race lites on as soon as it was delivered, I went almost two years and over three thousand miles before I had my first puncture, I hit a large piece of debris in the road at about eighteen-nineteen mile an hour and wrecked the back tyre.
I find that with the Marathon+ tyres on my Flight, I just simply don't worry about punctures any more... I'd like to fit tyres to the Madone that give me the same peace of mind, if that makes sense. Two years and 3K+ miles without a flat sounds great – it's been a similar 3K+ (in 1 year) puncture-free experience for me with the M+ which is why the Schwalbe's are attractive.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
A bike like the Madone should really wear tyres like Michelin Krylion Carbon or their replacements.

I've these on my nice bike and they're worth it. On my main commuter though I've the Bonty's and they've been great for 4+ thousand miles with one puncture.

Top Bottom