Best everyday, p******e resistant 700x23c tyre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
You're going to notice a significant difference, I tried M+ tyres while waiting for a new set of GP 4 seasons to arrive and by the third day I wish I had paid the extra for next day courier delivery.
I've gone for Durano+ (not Marathon+) based on my previous experience and lack of punctures with the heavier M+'s on the Flight.

According to Schwalbe, my old 25c M+ weigh 590g each, whilst the 23c Durano+ that are on their way are only 340g... a little heavier than others perhaps, but I doubt I'd notice the difference as I don't have a comparison – the Trek is my first road bike, and it's going to be a significantly different riding experience to the Flight anyway :eek:

BSRU

A Human Being
I've gone for Durano+ (not Marathon+) based on my previous experience and lack of punctures with the heavier M+'s on the Flight.

According to Schwalbe, my old 25c M+ weigh 590g each, whilst the 23c Durano+ that are on their way are only 340g... a little heavier than others perhaps, but I doubt I'd notice the difference as I don't have a comparison – the Trek is my first road bike, and it's going to be a significantly different riding experience to the Flight anyway :eek:
:wub: For some reason I thought you were going for M+'s, must try paying attention.

potsy

Rambler
According to Schwalbe, my old 25c M+ weigh 590g each, whilst the 23c Durano+ that are on their way are only 340g... a little heavier than others perhaps, but I doubt I'd notice the difference as I don't have a comparison

I think the quoted weight is for the folding version, can't find a figure for the wired one but I'm sure it is heavier, maybe somewhere between the 2?

Cyclist33

I've just taken a pair of durano s through the hilly roads of south Leeds and including about half a km of uphill trail, and they were most excellent. I haven't had a pucnture yet with them, although only done a couple o hundred miles.

Ergo, I magine the durano plus would be even tougher, though heavier etc.

Stu

lejogger

Guru
Appreciate you've already made a decision, but for others watching with a view to a similar purchase I highly recommend the Michelin Krylion Carbon in 700x23 if you can get hold of them. Had no issues at all so far and they seem very durable. I believe there is a replacement but I'm not sure what they're called.

The Conti GP4000s are a great tyre. I run them on the best bike, but that's for racing and weekend riding only. They're really fast and grippy, but cut up easily and I've no doubt they'll wear fast too. Great, but not for every day.
I wasn't impressed with the GP 4 seasons either. Much faster than something like a Schwalbe M/M+, but just didn't have the durability. So much crap got embedded and worked through, and I got several thorn punctures. Certainly didn't suit me for a winter/commuter tyre.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Appreciate you've already made a decision, but for others watching with a view to a similar purchase I highly recommend the Michelin Krylion Carbon in 700x23 if you can get hold of them. Had no issues at all so far and they seem very durable. I believe there is a replacement but I'm not sure what they're called.
No problem lejogger :thumbsup: From previous posts, I believe the replacement for the Krylion Carbon is the Pro4 Endurance.

The Conti GP4000s are a great tyre. I run them on the best bike, but that's for racing and weekend riding only. They're really fast and grippy, but cut up easily and I've no doubt they'll wear fast too. Great, but not for every day.
I wasn't impressed with the GP 4 seasons either. Much faster than something like a Schwalbe M/M+, but just didn't have the durability. So much crap got embedded and worked through, and I got several thorn punctures. Certainly didn't suit me for a winter/commuter tyre.
Which is why I opted for what I did... people clearly rate the Contis (be they GP4000s or Gatorskins), but my gut feeling was exactly what you said – they're fast and grippy, but whilst ideal for racing and weekend riding, perhaps not perfect for everyday use.

Others may of course disagree, but for me, the Marathon Plus's on my Flight have done me proud to the tune of over 3,500 puncture free miles despite all the nicks and cuts – it just made sense to go for Durano Plus on my new 'racing' bike (even if racing just means getting home from work a bit faster :shy:)

lejogger

Guru
No problem lejogger :thumbsup: From previous posts, I believe the replacement for the Krylion Carbon is the Pro4 Endurance.
That's the fella.
it just made sense to go for Durano Plus on my new 'racing' bike :shy:
I was tossing up between the Durano plus and the Michelin a couple of months ago. It was only because the Michelin were highly recommended by a couple of chaps on here and I saw them at a bargain price that I chose those. Durano Plus are still on my list to try.

Marathons have a particular time and a place. I don't believe it is on your bike.

BSRU

A Human Being
Strange how people have different experiences with the same tyres.
My road bike commuter has GP4000s fitted and there still looking good after 2600km's of commuting.
My main commuter is always fitted with GP 4 Seasons, unless it is icy, and I would not use anything else.

lejogger

Guru
Strange how people have different experiences with the same tyres.
My road bike commuter has GP4000s fitted and there still looking good after 2600km's of commuting.
My main commuter is always fitted with GP 4 Seasons, unless it is icy, and I would not use anything else.
I guess we all have different riding styles and different terrains to tackle.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
so have your tyres turned up yet? Mine not even dispatched??
Hmm... yes, mine arrived yesterday.

I ordered them first thing on Tuesday morning, and paid for next day delivery. Having not received my system-generate email confirming dispatch on Tuesday night, I sent a support email to them on Wednesday morning requesting an update – I got a reply (not until Thursday though, by which time my wife had let me know that the parcel had actually arrived) confirming they had been sent on the Wednesday and apologising for the delay. They refunded the next-day postage I paid :thumbsup:

So, can't really fault the service, but I wasn't overly impressed with how folded they were to fit in the box (especially given they're not actually folding tyres!). Having said that, I had a similar packaging experience the last time I bought tyres (was the Marathons actually, different supplier) and it didn't end up being a problem. I took them out the packaging and left them overnight, and they were in their normal shape when I left for work this morning. Will be interesting to know how yours turn up, although I suspect it'll be similar.

Our kitchen scales aren't great, but if anyone's interested, it seems the wired 700x23c Durano Plus 'London' weigh in at approx. 450g each – so not exactly the lightest tyre on the planet, and a bit heavier than the standard folding Durano Plus, but hey, that's OK with me.

Going to get them fitted tonight (along with the Roadracers) so I'm ready for my first spin tomorrow morning, fingers crossed :hyper:

Top Bottom