Best helmet for ponytailed riders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Up to you

Try them on and see

There are "pony tail friendly", but this can mean anything including the common method of pulling it through a purposed designed gap in the fitting harness

Specilized's Aspire has a "Hairport"

Bell changes this by opening the harness to make it easier:

So lots of choices

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
My beard sticks out at the front and my ponytail out the back. Long hair is a condition that is available to men too.

Kask Mojito has a height adjustable harness which fits the lid comfortably and doesn't tip it forward like some other helmets.

Ganymede

Veteran
Hi Atalanta - sounds like you and I have similar hair except mine does plait. If you don't mind using hair products, try some hair gel when plaiting - just rub it on your hands before you start.

I have a women's helmet but just let my ponytail go below the back edge - I don't cycle enough to get really sweaty! You might also try a flat bun if your hair is long enough - take the top layer of your hair and make a small neat bun, fairly high above your nape (short hairgrips are good for this, you don't need a tie). then gather up the rest and twist and swirl it round the mini-bun in so it does a sort of danish pastry thing. I find mine only needs a total of 4 - 6 pins. I wear this under hats as well as my helmet. You can adjust the fit of the helmet if needed.

Tom B

Guru
Mrs Tom is ex-military and during that time perfected a tight bun. She says try spraying a little hairspray on (it sounds like a good use for the rest of the can bought when fitting grips), or even dry shampoo when putting it into the bun. She prefers it in a bun, or flat braids (im sure there is a name for it) as she is scared of snagging it when riding,

Top Bottom