Best music provider (or are they all the same)??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have just bought a speaker streaming device type thingy (yes I reall am clueless).
I managed to set it up ^_^
I then managed to download spotify^_^
But then I found out to actually select my choice of music I MUST have a premium account at spotify/deezer etc.
So.......
Can I get around that?
Or
Failing that is there a best provider ?
Thanks

Old jon

Guru
You Tube also does music, for free. There will likely be others.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You could always use good old iTunes if you want music to buy rather than stream. You can also use Amazon music, about the same price. ITunes let's you import any of your own CDs in a high resolution format.
I recently bought an old iPod classic off eBay for forty quid which had 16,000 songs on it. Best purchase I ever made and I'm still discovering what's inside.
The streaming services seem to be much of a muchness but here's a run down;
https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/260966/the-best-online-music-streaming-services

Last edited:

icowden

Veteran
I'll second the vote for Prime music - although they too have a premium option which I ended up getting.

ITunes makes me shudder every time I think of it.

Julia9054

Guru
We have a family Spotify account. The more you use it, the more it learns what you like and suggests playlists etc. I prefer to pay a subscription to a streaming service than to buy music. It costs £14.99 for up to 3 users. Most subscription services have a free trial so we also had Deezer for a bit.

slowwww

Veteran
+3 for Amazon Prime Unlimited.

I have really eclectic taste in music, but with 40 million tracks available I can always find something of interest on there.

johnblack

Über Member
I thought you could have a free Spotify account that plays adverts every third song? I had that for a while and also had playlists, maybe its changed.

I now pay for Spotify and think it's pretty good, Amazon Prime unlimited is the same price and I think they have around the same song coverage.

D

Deleted member 26715

There was a new one called Tidal I had 6 months free it was very good but no way would I pay separately just for music,

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I thought you could have a free Spotify account that plays adverts every third song? I had that for a while and also had playlists, maybe its changed.

I now pay for Spotify and think it's pretty good, Amazon Prime unlimited is the same price and I think they have around the same song coverage.
Yes, I have that on my phone.
But.......
If I say to my device eg "right google, play the beatles" it/she just says "sorry, to choose specific tunes you need a premium streaming account" (not those exact words).
I can tell it "play classical music" but I cant tell it to play eg 1812 overture.
TBH.....I can do better on my phone and bluetooth it to my Roberts radio

Yes, I have that on my phone.
But.......
If I say to my device eg "right google, play the beatles" it/she just says "sorry, to choose specific tunes you need a premium streaming account" (not those exact words).
I can tell it "play classical music" but I cant tell it to play eg 1812 overture.
TBH.....I can do better on my phone and bluetooth it to my Roberts radio
Make a playlist and ask it to play that. Will that work?

Top Bottom