Best (NOT clip-in) pedals for my road bike??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tcr4x4

Veteran
That's what I did^^^

Got some flats/spd. I wasn't sure I'd like being clipped in, especially around town. A week Into using them, I pretty much always use the clips now and get frustrated when I can't get the pedal to flip over so I can clip in.

I'm pretty sure its Improved my power a little, I certainly have increased my average speed, and my hill climbing speed has increased.
I still have flats on my mtb, and won't ever change those, but for road use, I think clipped is the best for me, but its nice to have the option with the dual use pedals.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
This, I have either V8 or V12 on all my bikes. My view is the V12s aren't worth paying more for over the V8s

I have V12s on the MTB (they were recommended and I got a good deal)......I do need better shoes but to date they are comfy and feel safe.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I don't know any 'experienced' riders that have clipless moments no matter how tired they are.
For the vast majority of cyclists clipless pedals are without a doubt better than flat pedals and it has absolutely nothing to do with fashion.
I tended to come off the MTB when having to slow down unexpectedly e.g. on gravelly up-hills when the wheel suddenly spun.
I only came off the road bike once when I first got the SPDs. It's just that I found the flats (V12s) so surprisingly good.
Another benefit of flats is when I go for a long(ish) 30+miles to e.g. a nature park it is soooooo much easier to walk around with trainers on than it is with my spd shoes.

Davidc

Guru
So .... the fashion police have been after us since 1895, have they? http://www.google.com/patents/US550409
- just pointing out that clipless pedals are not a new, fashionable, trendy fad, having been around in various forms for well over 100 years
Good to see this post.

This subject (pro/ against clipless, not which are the best pedals) is generally IMO the most fruitless that appears on here.

lesley_x

Über Member
I don't ride clipless and never will. I had an accident and hurt my hit pretty badly (did the splits the wrong way :O)

I'm about to put new pedals on my cx and I don't know what to get. I've got MKS pedals (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mks-mt-lite-pedals/) on my road bike and they have served me well for 3 years now.

Not sure whether to stick them on again or go for something more like the MTB/BMX pedals.

Top Bottom