Best (NOT clip-in) pedals for my road bike??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have just changed the pedals on my mountain bike......from clip-in to (what I call) standard MTB type and for various reasons find them a great improvement......for one I no longer fall off ^_^
I am thinking (only thinking) of swapping the clipless on my road bike and wonder what others recommend.
Before I get arrested by the cliplles pedal police.....I haven't done the deed yet......but I am no longer so keen on that bit of extra speed/performance etc-just a bit more safety & comfort.

Deanno1dad

Über Member
I am clipless now..but when i started on the road bike I used DMR V8 pedals,,only ones that will stop the feet slipping as long as you have decent grip trainers as well.

After I went clipless many years ago I had a big MTB accident that left me with head injuries, busted ribs and a broken ankle.

Even though my feet separated from the bike mid accident I became wary of being clipped in when I got back to riding, and duly changed back to flat pedals, however, it only lasted a few days as I hated it and that was on an MTB.

I couldn't imagine riding a road bike on flat pedals TBH, I definitely feel a performance benefit of being clipped in with proper shoes on, and no it's not a fashion thing, it's a function thing.

If you're falling off that regularly then I'd suggest you check the tension settings, they may be too high and not be allowing you to unclip as easily as you should

Last edited:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I use flat pedals most of the time on my roadbike.The performance difference is not noticeable and I feel much more comfortable.

You do need to find the right combination of pedal/shoe that grip each other even when wet.

Your ability to bounce after a fall reduces as you get to middleage. I have seen several very experienced riders have "clipless moment" falls and had several myself usually when tired towards the endof a long days ride.

Dont let the fashion police influence you.

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/improving-the-foot-grip-on-shimano-a530-pedals.138671/

Last edited:

Hip Priest

Veteran
My advice would be to get a decent set of flat pedals, but team them up with a pair of MTB shoes. That's my commuting set-up. I use ALDI shoes, without cleats, as they provide the rigid sole without the necessity to be clipped in. If I ride in normal trainers, my feet hurt.

For long rides on the road bike, I prefer to go clipless.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I am clipless now..but when i started on the road bike I used DMR V8 pedals,,only ones that will stop the feet slipping as long as you have decent grip trainers as well.

This, I have either V8 or V12 on all my bikes. My view is the V12s aren't worth paying more for over the V8s

screenman

Legendary Member
I use flat pedals most of the time on my roadbike.The performance difference is not noticeable and I feel much more comfortable.

You do need to find the right combination of pedal/shoe that grip each other even when wet.

Your ability to bounce after a fall reduces as you get to middleage. I have seen several very experienced riders have "clipless moment" falls and had several myself usually when tired towards the endof a long days ride.

Dont let the fashion police influence you.

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/improving-the-foot-grip-on-shimano-a530-pedals.138671/

The last line of yours is a stupid remark in my opinion, being clipped in has nothing at all to do with fashion. So you could not cope with being clipped in that is down to your own ability, not fashion.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Japanese MK track pedals and Italian leather Cinelli toe straps, with Cinelli cages?

Dont think you'll get much change out of £100 though

http://www.velodromeshop.net/index.php?p=home

Brandane

Legendary Member
The last line of yours is a stupid remark in my opinion, being clipped in has nothing at all to do with fashion. So you could not cope with being clipped in that is down to your own ability, not fashion.

It's not always a case of whether one can "cope" or not. Sometimes there are perfectly good reasons for not riding clipless, and some people just don't get on with them. I am one of them. It doesn't stop some fashion slaves sneering at you because you turn up for a ride in trainers and flat pedals. Hang my head in shame, as I also normally go without a helmet, and padded shorts apart - no lycra. I still manage to enjoy cycling 4k miles per year though.

OP - I use Wellgo double sided with good gripping pins on the flat side.

Davidc

Guru
I use these. I've just replaced a pair and Halfords were the cheapest, hence the link.

They do need shoes with a rigid hard sole or they hurt. Lidl cycle shoes with no cleats are good. I use toe clips and straps with them but as plain pedals they're fine.

Typical life with me is about 7000 miles. Repack the bearings each 2500 miles for smooth and quiet working.

amaferanga

Veteran

I don't know any 'experienced' riders that have clipless moments no matter how tired they are. Last clipless moment I had was about a week into using clipless pedals. Maybe you and your 'experienced' mates just have coordination issues or something (not that there's anything wrong with that) so clipless pedals aren't for you. For the vast majority of cyclists clipless pedals are without a doubt better than flat pedals and it has absolutely nothing to do with fashion.

screenman

Legendary Member
Touch a sore spot did I . :becool:

Every square mm of your bike is constantly being scrutinized by the FP,didnt you know?

I take your post with hopefully the humour with which it was intended.^_^

I have nothing against flat pedals I used them myself up to 20 years ago and had plenty of miles on the bike, however I am against posts that may put somebody off of using a useful item.

screenman

Legendary Member
It's not always a case of whether one can "cope" or not. Sometimes there are perfectly good reasons for not riding clipless, and some people just don't get on with them. I am one of them. It doesn't stop some fashion slaves sneering at you because you turn up for a ride in trainers and flat pedals. Hang my head in shame, as I also normally go without a helmet, and padded shorts apart - no lycra. I still manage to enjoy cycling 4k miles per year though.

OP - I use Wellgo double sided with good gripping pins on the flat side.

Must be the area, but I have never met a fashion slave cyclist, tight, mean fisted, head stuck in sand living in the past cyclist well I have met plenty of them.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
you can get pedals that are flat one side, spd on another.

if you're not confident in going full clipless, ride with one foot clipped in, the other on the flat, swap them over and, when you've got the knack of clipping in and out, use both pedals clipless.

clipless systems are probably the best upgrade to roadbikes in the last thirty years...

Top Bottom