Clipless knee pain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Deanno1dad

Über Member
Been using clipless pedals for a month now.
One problem I've found is after 30 miles my left knee,normally the inner knee has a sharp pain.
Could it be the fact that the left leg is normally the leg I leave attached to the pedal at junctions..the saddle position has never changed and was fine on flat pedals for longer rides before.
Will it be a case of ride through the pain until the knee gets used to the cleats?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Never ride through pain. You will only make things worse.
Pain means that your set up is not correct.

Check out this link for setting up your cleats.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Once you have read the above link, you might well be thinking that cleat set up is something of a minefield. Good luck to you if you EVER manage to get the cleat set up fine tuned. You may need to cover a fair amount of miles before problems make themselves felt.

My own experience was that I suffered foot cramps when I first used cleats, so messed about with them until I managed to get rid of the foot cramps. Then came the knee pain, so more adjustments. That sometimes re-introduced the foot cramps, and sometimes (though not always) got rid of the knee pain.

After the foot cramps and the knee pain, came a painful left hip, which I still have after about 2 years, despite a period of physiotherapy. This was possibly more due to saddle height (too high?) rather than cleats - but cleats would have exaggerated the effect due to the slight pull on your hip joint at the bottom of the pedal stroke if your saddle is slightly too high. I could have gone down the road of getting a professional bike fitting session, but I never place too much faith in these things. The cynic in me tells me it is an easy money raiser for the bike shop.

What I did notice was that for a cyclist of my standard (i.e. a reasonably keen casual cyclist covering 3-4k miles per year) my average speed never varied whether with cleats or not. I figured that the answer to my problems was fairly obvious. I invested in decent quality flat pedals with spikes which afford good grip for my trainers, and placed my cycling shoes with cleats firmly where they belong .... in a skip! No more foot cramps, no more knee pain, and no worsening of the hip pain. As a bonus, I can walk comfortably at any stops I might make on my rides. This is just my experience of course, and I expect others will swear by SPD/cleats and cycling shoes. I just swear AT them.

Identical problem to the OP here. Only started after a Solihull to Paris ride, about 100 miles a day for four days. No idea if it's linked with clips - I never had an issue before, but am going to have a professional bike fit to set if having the pedals set up properly helps.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
I've tried and tried with clipless had 2 visits to a bike fitter and still had some horrid knee pain in the left knee. Had to invest in flat pedals and although they look fugly and weigh a ton I've never been more comfy on my bike tbh. I may swap back one day I may not but ATM I'm enjoying my pain free cycling so I couldn't care less what they look like.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've tried and tried with clipless had 2 visits to a bike fitter and still had some horrid knee pain in the left knee. Had to invest in flat pedals and although they look fugly and weigh a ton I've never been more comfy on my bike tbh. I may swap back one day I may not but ATM I'm enjoying my pain free cycling so I couldn't care less what they look like.

I didn't even notice you don't ride clipless.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Your cleats needs to be set up to allow your feet to sit naturally on the pedals. If they're forced into the wrong position, you'll feel it on long rides, especially if you're not having many breaks.

Top Bottom