Best place for cycling in the UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fatCyclist

Hi all,

Just wondering, where's considered the best place in the UK for road cycling? By that I suppose I mean a place that has flats and hills, nice scenery, good roads and a wide choice of rides/routes.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well that's a tough question to answer. There is no 'best'.
Everyone will have a different opinion.

You are in Essex. There IS some absolutely fantastic riding in Essex.

Lee_M

Guru
ianruk isn't wrong, get out towards east essex, loads of nice country roads, a smattering of hills, coastal runs - and headwinds in every direction!

OP
OP
fatCyclist

fatCyclist

Good to know there's some good riding here in Essex. Thanks for the recommendation of Wales, Bikerchick. Anywhere in particularly you'd recommend? I visited Snowdon a few years back but was on foot so didn't get chance to really explore the area.

Demonclimber

Climbing Ninja
Yep, would agree North Wales; hills, good road surfaces; stunning scenery; check out Bala long distance tri route; LLanberis/Ogwen loop stunning; Anglesey for flatter, seaside scenic but winnnnnnnnnnnndy at times. Lake District; all of the above except you would need to enjoy riding on cart tracks (as the road surfaces resemble up here).

Mile195

Veteran
It's all quite subjective really depending on your point of view. But I'd go with the above comments in that Wales is great, and the tarmac is in good nick, following a load of EU grants some years back. Lots of hills though. I love cornwall, but it's also very hilly. Roads surfaces are a bit rubbish, and there's alot of tourists with caravans that get in the way, but plenty to see and do wherever you are.

Parts of Kent, Sussex and Surrey are stunning. Less hilly that Cornwall or Wales. Road conditions are generally good, but busier than other less densley populated areas of the country.

All depends how far you want to travel for it really, and what else you want from your trip in terms of places to stay, and things to do etc. A good place to start might be the Sustrans maps and website. it'll give you a general idea of where the more scenic cycle routes are, and give you some information on their condition etc.

Demonclimber

Climbing Ninja
Or, if you want to start going a bit more remote, Scotland; North West, Torridon, further North you go the more remote; can make loops tricksy - if you start at point A and keep turning right (or left) at first junction you get to until you get back to point A again you can end up doing 100 miles+ easily! (I wonder what the longest ride one could do in the UK following this rule!)

Lots of great places, and no doubt everyone has a favourite. For me it would be Northumberland, it has a bit of everything and not many cars!

zizou

Veteran
West coast of Scotland generally but my favourite is Argyll and the Cowal penisula. Really close to Glasgow so accessible plus good quality and quiet roads, great climbs and spectacular scenary - plus you get a sail on a ferry too.

Dumfries and Galloway is nice too, lots of nice roads and generally very quiet. I find this a bit quieter than the highlands - the highlands are more remote but there are less roads so tend to get a bit busier.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I cycled in Wales, in October. That was pukka!

Failing that, I have to say that there are some great parts of Surrey & Kent. Sussex (both variations) and to the North, Cambridgeshire and North Essex are nice.

Bikerchick

Good to know there's some good riding here in Essex. Thanks for the recommendation of Wales, Bikerchick. Anywhere in particularly you'd recommend? I visited Snowdon a few years back but was on foot so didn't get chance to really explore the area.

Last year I did a little tour and went Tenby, Saundersfoot, St Davids, Aberystwyth, Rhayader. The scenery was stunning, it did help I had chosen the few days of summer we had!

Top Bottom