Best place for cycling in the UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 23692

I'm happy with the area around Carlisle.

Going west is the flatlands of the Solway, South and Eastwards is more gently rolling country with several river valleys to climb in and out of, Eastwards is the North Pennines with some proper climbing (Hartside etc), and Northwards is the rolling border country.

Avoid the A roads and you'll have the place to yourself.. unlike the lakes which is the packed wherever you go

wisdom

Guru
To be honest the best place to cycle is anywhere.I just love being out on one of the bikes,commuting or pleasure.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Go to Wales north-east of Port Talbot. Basically the Dragon Run area is just stunning. Nice roads, not much traffic, big hills, fast descents ....what more could you ask for.

Or, if you want to start going a bit more remote, Scotland; North West, Torridon, further North you go the more remote; can make loops tricksy - if you start at point A and keep turning right (or left) at first junction you get to until you get back to point A again you can end up doing 100 miles+ easily! (I wonder what the longest ride one could do in the UK following this rule!)

If the sea is on your left and you turn left every time at a junction it works out at +4,000 miles.
It's a long way around the coast ....... :laugh:

I like the far north.
Plus the boarder country and the pennine's.
Basically anywhere where cars are rare ............ ^_^

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Devon has most things, except long flat roads. Beautiful varied scenery, 8000 miles of roads, cream teas, cider, and the only pub the Queen has visited. If you want a good sample, last year's Tour of Britain gave a good taste:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Surprised nobody has mentioned Yorkshire - hosts of this year's TDF

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
Personally I like East Anglia (Norfolk, Suffolk, Essex), go at least once a year for a week or two with my bike and tent. Plenty of winding country lanes, small villages, seaside towns, tearooms (and cake!) and great pubs to discover... roll on summer!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
North Wales when it's dry and sunny - fabulous. Peak District is amazing - just about everything there and I'm lucky to live next to it. Every sort of hill you can think of, cobbled climbs, stupid steep ones, super long ones. Road engineers in the Peaks adopted the roman attitudes - just go straight up it, none of this winding round a hill. Downside is the councils don't like maintaining the roads.

Oh and to top it off, my local village now has a cyclist's cafe.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
North Lancashire. You can go south to the flat Fylde, east to the Yorkshire Dales, north to the Lake District, and there are many shorter rides through beautiful countryside right on the doorstep.

avalon

Guru
Just about anywhere in the UK is great for cycling, with it's network of country lanes you can criss cross most of the country without having to use too many main roads. The possible down side is the amount of traffic in some areas, lack of camping areas if you are touring and possibly the weather.
I will just add, as it hasn't been mentioned yet, that Exmoor is one of my favourite areas for cycling.

Top Bottom