Best place for cycling in the UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Booyaa

Veteran
Just about anywhere in the UK is great for cycling, with it's network of country lanes you can criss cross most of the country without having to use too many main roads. The possible down side is the amount of traffic in some areas, lack of camping areas if you are touring and possibly the weather.
I will just add, as it hasn't been mentioned yet, that Exmoor is one of my favourite areas for cycling.
I would agree with that, all the country lanes make it a good place to cycle, I prefer on the most part cycling in Scotland, particularly in the middle of the country where there is little traffic and the best scenery in the UK.

pally83

Über Member
North Lancashire. You can go south to the flat Fylde, east to the Yorkshire Dales, north to the Lake District, and there are many shorter rides through beautiful countryside right on the doorstep.

Of course, Lancashire is the best place in the UK full stop.

oldleggs

Über Member
Mendip Hills take some beating...... Cheddar Gorge and Burrington Combe then over the hills to Wells......not so good when the cloud is low at the top of Masbury Summit.

avalon

Guru
Mendip Hills take some beating...... Cheddar Gorge and Burrington Combe then over the hills to Wells......not so good when the cloud is low at the top of Masbury Summit.
One of my old routes, up Burrington Combe and down Cheddar Gorge or sometimes the other way around and occasionally including Wells, then back to Weston-super-Mare.

oldleggs

Über Member
l live on the Bath side of Frome so it one of my favourite rides the Mendips Hills, another ride is to Longleat and then to Alfred's Tower and on to Bruton. But the weather has to improve before l venture out ....... l'm a fair weather cyclist!

Peterborough is a good base (if you get out of it quickly ;)). You have bumps to the west (about 5 miles) in Northamptonshire and to the south (North Cambridgeshire) and bigger hills to the north in Rutland. If you want Pancake flat you've also got the Fens to the east.
For scenery though IMO there's no beating Scotland although it is harder to (although it can be done) find flat up there ;)

Mo1959

Legendary Member
For scenery though IMO there's no beating Scotland although it is harder to (although it can be done) find flat up there ;)
..........and until you build a good level of endurance, I also find it a bit difficult to construct nice circular routes as there doesn't seem to be as big a network of roads. Agree about the scenery though. Was beautiful this morning as the sun was coming up.

sheffgirl

Surprised nobody has mentioned Yorkshire - hosts of this year's TDF

We have some nice scenery a short distance away in the Peak District. The only downside is the hills. And the potholes.

I used to live in Stockport and I could either head out to the peak district or go the other way and blast around reasonably flat cheshire. There are quite a few signed routes and the one that went around Macclesfield was quite a favourite of mine. It was great and I do miss living there as I could leave the house and be in the countryside within 30min. I've had to move to Liverpool and it's nowhere near as good unless I go out to the wirral and into Wales.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Another thumbs up for my backyard Wales, but don't expect pothole free roads. This winter has taken its toll :sad:

I love cycling in Cheshire and on the Wirral :smile:

Top Bottom