Best rear light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
PLEASE HELP A SIMPLETON - does the SMART include the bits to mount directly to the rear of a rack (assuming the rack has the plate with 2 holes). ??

Tynan

Veteran
I suspect lots of people aren't good with the difference between 180° and 360°

I've got one and you might say it's got 180°, certainly most of 180°

To say 360° is clearly nonssense

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Tynan said:
I suspect lots of people aren't good with the difference between 180° and 360°

I've got one and you might say it's got 180°, certainly most of 180°

To say 360° is clearly nonssense

no, depends what plane you're looking on. Lay it on its back - 360

andygates

The Smart doesn't come with a rack mount (very little does). It has a pretty standard seatpost band with the old two-round-bits-and-a-bolt fitting, so modern racks like the Tor-Tec ones with a round-bit brazed on will be fine. It also comes with a clothes-clip.

Tynan

Veteran
there's a hold in the smart that looks lie it might take a bolt isn't there?

I gave up trying very quickly, never really understood clothes clips, surely the light is always going to be more effective bolted onto to something static?

Andy Pandy

Not cheap but the Dinotte rear light is very bright
TAIL_3_large.jpg

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tynan said:
there's a hold in the smart that looks lie it might take a bolt isn't there?

I gave up trying very quickly, never really understood clothes clips, surely the light is always going to be more effective bolted onto to something static?

Well, I dunno. I have one rear light fixed on my winter bike(dynamo) and one LED that I clip onto the buckle strap of my pannier at the back. It swings about a bit, and because it dangles at an angle, casts a bit of light down onto the road. I wonder if the dangling and swinging might be eyecatching (in conjunction with a fixed light, I wouldn't use it alone like that).

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
John the Monkey said:
It might help stop people pushing you when you're close to the edge.

Broken glass everywhere!:biggrin:

Tell all your friends they can go my way,Pay your toll, sell your soul...

*vows to dig out Grandmaster Flash CD later on*

NickM

Veteran
LEDs only appear bright when viewed on axis (or through a lens pointing in the desired direction). Dangling ones, I think, are not worth much - that's why I'm happy with the one attached to my mudguard (my seatpin is occupied by a bag).

Arch

Married to Night Train
NickM said:
LEDs only appear bright when viewed on axis (or through a lens pointing in the desired direction). Dangling ones, I think, are not worth much - that's why I'm happy with the one attached to my mudguard (my seatpin is occupied by a bag).

But the LEDs in my dangling light are within a plastic cover that is shaped to refract the light and housed inside a reflective dish - certainly, when I look at it from the side, it seems bright enough...

Top Bottom