Best rear light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
andygates said:
The Smart doesn't come with a rack mount (very little does). It has a pretty standard seatpost band with the old two-round-bits-and-a-bolt fitting, so modern racks like the Tor-Tec ones with a round-bit brazed on will be fine. It also comes with a clothes-clip.

Thankyou Sir.

OP
OP
Archie

Archie

Errrr.....
So the Smart superflash looks like the way to go, and at half the price of the LD1000 I'm happy with that. :biggrin:

Whilst digging around on Google last night I came across another forum where just such a comparison was made (hope xposts to other forii are allowed :biggrin:).

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=164686

In amongst the discussion is a link to this vid which is quite interesting!

http://www.sumo.tv/watch.php?video=2497966

Thanks for all the replies.

Archie

Tynan

Veteran
Archie said:
So the Smart superflash looks like the way to go, and at half the price of the LD1000 I'm happy with that. :ohmy:

Whilst digging around on Google last night I came across another forum where just such a comparison was made (hope xposts to other forii are allowed ;)).

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=164686

In amongst the discussion is a link to this vid which is quite interesting!

http://www.sumo.tv/watch.php?video=2497966

Thanks for all the replies.

Archie

interesting, I got both

makes a good case for a good quality reflective coat init?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Agreed, if you really want to be seen then it has to be the DiNotte...

Andy Pandy said:
Not cheap but the Dinotte rear light is very bright
TAIL_3_large.jpg

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Tynan said:
interesting, I got both

makes a good case for a good quality reflective coat init?

I was really surprised by how much difference the reflective coat made close up, maybe there is something to be said for having a combined light and reflector, especially when the light out put is so low...

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Is the Smart bright without flashing, and does it have a steady mode? I don't like to look like a bicycle, because I think that reduces my safety.

andygates

It has two modes: Steady and flashing. I only use steady for the same reasons as you, and it gives out a hell of a belt.

ejls2

I'll second the recommendation of the Dinotte. Had mine two years and it is simply amazing! The big difference I notice between it and the other rear lights is the amount of room that drivers give you. With the Dinotte they virtually never pass you close by.

I did a week of commuting last year without it (left it in Nottingham) and the difference was astonishing.

Tynan

Veteran
wiggle's doing a special of the smart rear and the solaris front for £15 which is half what I paid (and with the smart slashed in price)

both very good lights imho

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I've now had the misfortune to get stuck behind someone with a Smart as a rear light - I can confirm that it is very, very, chuffing bright indeed, and I was rather glad that the chap using it wanted to go much faster than I did.

I'm not entirely convinced that everything I see doesn't still have a red tint now, nearly 24 hours after being subjected to the retina searing power of that light.

Tynan said:
wiggle's doing a special of the smart rear and the solaris front for £15 which is half what I paid (and with the smart slashed in price)

both very good lights imho

Tynan, that doesn't look like the smart 1/2 watt rear light. It doesn't have the clear plastic for the nichia LED.

Tynan

Veteran
magnatom said:
Tynan, that doesn't look like the smart 1/2 watt rear light. It doesn't have the clear plastic for the nichia LED.

ah, sorry, my bad, that cheers me up anyway, I did buy the proper Smart one alone off them a few weeks ago for very little more than £10

Top Bottom