Best rear light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
magnatom said:
Tynan, that doesn't look like the smart 1/2 watt rear light. It doesn't have the clear plastic for the nichia LED.

ah, sorry, my bad, that cheers me up anyway, I did buy the proper Smart one alone off them a few weeks ago for very little more than £10

looking properly you're quite right, the front isn't the Solaris one I've rated either

forget me everyone, sorry

Tynan said:
ah, sorry, my bad, that cheers me up anyway, I did buy the proper Smart one alone off them a few weeks ago for very little more than £10

looking properly you're quite right, the front isn't the Solaris one I've rated either

forget me everyone, sorry

Forget who?!?!:biggrin:

BentMikey said:
Oooh errr, you lot want to take me? What if I want to take you?

I think, and I could be wrong here, that our logic suggests that you are in fact Mike Tyson. In that case I think I will be very, very nice to you in future, Mr Tyson, sir! Can I tie your shoe laces if you promise not to hit me....:biggrin:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
*Magnatom carefully avoids the kind of taking I was referring to*.

BentMikey said:
*Magnatom carefully avoids the kind of taking I was referring to*.

Oh aye Mr Tyson, sir.That kind of taking. I'm sorry for being wrong Mr Tyson. Let me calm you with a little acting

Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears.....

Whatever you buy, have two rear lights. Don't rely on one...

You cannot be too careful, and having two guards against the possibility or certainty that one dark morning/night, light number one will fail while you are riding and you won't know anything about it until you reach your destination.

:biggrin:

historyman

rules

Someone (a bike shop employee) once told me its against the law to run a flashing rear light. Is this true? Also is there a brightness limit? (I'm in UK, don't no about other states...)

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
historyman said:
Someone (a bike shop employee) once told me its against the law to run a flashing rear light. Is this true?

Depends when he told you as to whether it was true then.

Right now, a flashing light can be your primary.

Iceniner

Ive recently taken up using a bike to commute because i was tired of having to waste so much time walking around the city.

I brought one of these Smart 1/2 watt back lights a while back and have been very impressed, certainly very bright. I had been looking at the Dinotte tail light and being a student its not cheap (at atleast £100 plus)! I also wanted to get myself a new front light as well.

I managed to find these lights online for just under £12.99 (including p&p) and so ordered myself a couple. This left me more than enough money to get a Busch&Muller Ixon IQ front light too, all for less than the Dinotte would have cost.

After messing around trying to find a spare bolt and a couple of nuts to fit it, i managed to make a "double smart" light. I dont have too much space on the pole under my saddle so it needed to be compact and produce a strong beam onto the road.

I hoped to achieve a light the shines on the road behind me leaving a pool of light to help drivers see me. I only made it today so havent tried it out on my bike yet, but friends have already commented on how amazingly bright they are. It definitely needs to be pointed down onto the road otherwise id be worried it would cause too much glare for drivers.

Have shaken the lights around and both dont wobble one bit :-)

I went out in the cold and dark and took some pictures of it with my camera.

Picture 1+2 : Quick overview of what i did to mount them. All i used that wasnt in the package was a new bolt and 3 nuts. I could have used the one that came in the other clips if i poked them out but they didnt fit my smaller bolt too well.

Picture 3+4 : Both on steady, light angled slightly down, the grass being lit up is around 4.5 meters away (approximately) The next picture i took with my flash on to try and mimic headlights coming up on the light, but as you can see it still shows under the flash well. Picture 4 was taken standing a bit further behind the lights and not to the side so much. However it does look like the lights are glowing red hot! :-)

Picture 5 : A profile view at right angle to lights and beam for side visibility and depth of beam. Covers about 8meters very well. Here it was only slightly angled down. I presume if i angled it down more it would be more impressive but it was getting cold outside!

Top Bottom