Best rear light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonali

Guru
Jakes Dad said:
Here's another You Tube comparison video for the Smart Light

Mine doesn't flash the same as that one. All the LEDs go on and off at the same time.

ratty2k

Ohh! I haven't ordered anything from them yet, and it looks like I never will!
Hmm, just reminded myself to adjust my rear brake- err see ya'll!

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
simonali said:
Mine doesn't flash the same as that one. All the LEDs go on and off at the same time.

I thnk that flash pattern is made more obvious on the vid, think mines like that, the 'superflash'

simonali said:

The only difference that i can see between the 2 lights is that one is called the "Planet Bike Super Flash" and the other is called the "Smart Super Flash"

But im only assuming that they are the same light ?

Simon

ratty2k

gambatte said:
Would that be one of these racks?
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=14335
Might still have the template for the bracket (doesn't have the hole positions for the rack mounts)

Actually, its this one http://wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360027965&N=LifeLine Alloy Rear Rack
although I admit its very similar to look at.
Having just seen that youtube vid for the first time, I have to say I'm convinced! Thats one bright light, gonna get me some of those!

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
gambatte said:
Twin 1/2 watt Smarts, mounted with Smart rackmounts, onto a homefabbed stainless bracket.
I put 3M tape on the bracket before the rack mounts

http://picasaweb.google.com/garryneedham/2008_0112/photo#5154670454156884530
The lights are blinding me even though they are not switched on !!!

But not enough for me to notice the drying of yer kecks on the radiator ! ;) :biggrin:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Elmer Fudd said:
But not enough for me to notice the drying of yer kecks on the radiator ! ;) :ohmy:

hmm.. I always wondered if Elmer was short sighted. Explaining why he couldn't get a decent shot at Bugs.

(they're not keks - pyjamas for a 4 year old :biggrin:)

:biggrin::biggrin:

OP
OP
Archie

Archie

Errrr.....
Got my superflash last week - great bit of kit, far more visible than the Cateye LD1000 it replaced. It may not be the best rear light, but it must be the best value rear light.

Had to get the rack fitting too owing to a short-arse/lack of seatpost issue, so thanks for the dotbike link whoever did it, very quick service. Even this is better than the Cateye bracket it replaced.

Seem to be lots of folk bought one off the back of this thead?

simonali

Guru
I might get the missus to pick me up the Planetbike version next time she's in the States, as the flashy mode is better than the Smart one, innit.

ratty2k

Well, just picked up 2 of the superflash rear lights from the LBS. Unfortunately they only had one pannier bracket! So only have one mounted at the moment. Made a very similar bracket to gambatte's except out of purre ally slightly lighter (with my bulk on it!! :o) but its a bit easier to work with, and as its pure, it bends without any cracking. Main reason tho' is its free offcuts from work!
!0 mins to make the bracket, and bob's yer uncle.
Pics soon as I get the other pannier bracket in......

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
ratty2k said:
Made a very similar bracket to gambatte's except out of purre ally slightly lighter (1)(with my bulk on it!! ;)) but its a bit easier to work with, and as its pure, it bends without any cracking. Main reason tho' is its free offcuts from work!(2)
!0 mins to make the bracket, and bob's yer uncle.
Pics soon as I get the other pannier bracket in......

(1)You sure? what thickness sheet you using. 0.7mm 304 grade stainless

(2) great having a scrap bin, innit? Plus designed on Solidworks and fabbed up in the developement workshop:biggrin::biggrin:

Just ordered one of those smarties too...sounds like you can't really go wrong with it, although some of the CRC reviews say it lets water in and then only works on constant instead of flashing till it's dried out, but I suppose there could be worse problems....

Top Bottom