Best roads I have ever cycled.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Just got back from the honey moon with mrs pikey, in a log cabin in Scotland.

Took the road bikes, went for a couple of 40-50 miles, on some of the best surface I have ever ridden on.

Pure flat Tarmac, properly rolled, no craters or pot holes, almost like riding on an indoor track, two cars passed us on one four hour ride out. The single track roads used by the logging trucks were ironically the best. Sme great winding descents.

It was the same most of the way around Dumfries and Galloway, although stopped abruptly in Ayrshire. If you're near I recommend you give them a try.

Went out for a quick 30 with a little cafe stop today around the rural roads of wiltshire, and it was like cycling on third world roads in comparison.

I think I am gonna move house....

Very jealous...I lived in Scotland for a while (4 years) and was before I started cycling...wish I could go back...actually I might!!!

Tcr4x4

Veteran
Maybe we should all move up there!
I love Scotland, as a photographer and a 4x4 enthusiast, and now cyclist, it's like heaven!

john59

Guru

Took the road bikes, went for a couple of 40-50 miles, on some of the best surface I have ever ridden on.

Pure flat Tarmac, properly rolled, no craters or pot holes, almost like riding on an indoor track, two cars passed us on one four hour ride out. The single track roads used by the logging trucks were ironically the best. Sme great winding descents.

It was the same most of the way around Dumfries and Galloway, although stopped abruptly in Ayrshire. If you're near I recommend you give them a try.

Went out for a quick 30 with a little cafe stop today around the rural roads of wiltshire, and it was like cycling on third world roads in comparison.

I was attending a wedding at Glenluce and took my road bike with me for some early morning rides. I’ve got to agree about the roads and traffic, excellent. A great place to ride your bike and beautiful scenery.

John

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Maybe we should all move up there!
I love Scotland, as a photographer and a 4x4 enthusiast, and now cyclist, it's like heaven!

Trouble is, we don't have access to the Green Roads, bridlepaths etc that you do down south ... :sad: The only way to get driving off-road in Scotia is through one of the Of-Road/ 4x4/ LR clubs and on private land.

rualexander

Legendary Member

This is usually the case, most narrow single track roads get upgraded, slightly widened, larger passing places created, and resurfaced prior to any largescale logging operations taking place.
Modern logging trucks would struggle on older roads, often chewing up the verges and road edges, have difficulty getting around tighter bends etc.
Other roads not used for logging trucks, tend to be in a far worse condition in Scotland than they are south of the border.

Brandane

Legendary Member
By Carsphairn and Dalry, even the A roads were lush.

NB... This must be the St Johns town of Dalry, in Dumfries and Galloway. The Dalry in Ayrshire (and surrounding areas) has roads like the surface of the moon! Agreed that roads in D&G are a cut above the rest. You can see the change as soon as you cross the council area boundaries.

Top Bottom