Best roads I have ever cycled.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
WIltshire roads are not as bad as what you find in south Gloucestershire imo but still pretty awful.

South Gloucestershire favour the chipseal method of road repair. It's great if you like sliding along the road after falling off your bike, not much good for providing traction while cycling though.

Greg_S

You bring up a good point the_mikey they need to focus on better methods to repair the roads. Nobody wants to fear falling off their bike and sliding along the road. Something needs to be done.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Thanks to OP I have decided, on my next day off, to get the train to Ayr, cycle down to Dumfries, then get the train home. Close to 100 miles. Nice!

I've only ever done two 100 milers and that was one of them (started at Largs). Really nice ride, I was a bit concerned about the stretch of the A713 from Dalmellington (I cut down to Maybole from Ayr, then across to Dalmellington) to Carsphairn, but it wasn't too busy and even the climb out of Dalmellington wasn't that bad. Enjoy the ride :thumbsup:.

OP
OP
Pikey

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Thanks to OP I have decided, on my next day off, to get the train to Ayr, cycle down to Dumfries, then get the train home. Close to 100 miles. Nice!

Just after Carsphairn on the a road from Ayr, take the little left hand turning signed for Moniaive, then left again at the war memorial.

That will take you along some lush Tarmac to this loch with a great little steel bridge on the you can cycle accross to get back to the a road to Dumfries.

Bit of a detour, but became one of my favourites.

OP
OP
Pikey

Pikey

I've only ever done two 100 milers and that was one of them (started at Largs). Really nice ride, I was a bit concerned about the stretch of the A713 from Dalmellington (I cut down to Maybole from Ayr, then across to Dalmellington) to Carsphairn, but it wasn't too busy and even the climb out of Dalmellington wasn't that bad. Enjoy the ride :thumbsup:.

I was a bit worried about the A713 too, until the mrs told me to stop being a tit and cycle it. Think the traffic on it was the equivalent of a country B road down here.

Feck I miss it now, crying into the Bladnoch scotch, lol...

format

Über Member
Just after Carsphairn on the a road from Ayr, take the little left hand turning signed for Moniaive, then left again at the war memorial.

That will take you along some lush Tarmac to this loch with a great little steel bridge on the you can cycle accross to get back to the a road to Dumfries.

Bit of a detour, but became one of my favourites.

This was the route I have roughly planned - http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/266643901

Which loch are you talking about Pikey - Loch Doon or Loch Ken? The latter seems like a lot of A road riding...

Any advice would be helpful :smile:

OP
OP
Pikey

Pikey

image.jpg
image.jpg

Kendoon loch

Here is the loch and the junction just after Carsphairn I was talking about.

OP
OP
Pikey

Pikey

This was the route I have roughly planned - http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/266643901

Which loch are you talking about Pikey - Loch Doon or Loch Ken? The latter seems like a lot of A road riding...

I think they have a diversion off the main road in dalmellington, not too bad tho, might add a mile to your trip!

If you cross that bridge over the loch it will bring you out on the a road that goes through Carsphairn again. Only a small detour but pretty nice!

OP
OP
Pikey

Pikey

If you are gonna follow the b729, you won't cross the bridge, but the short climb, then that decent into Moniaive is well worth it. Nice friendly pub there for lunch, opposite the general store.

If your feeling full of beans, before you get to Moniaive you'll go past this turning, follow the grey road in the screen shot, before the cattle grid, it's got a couple of sign posts, one for water o ken, and some other forestry stuff. If you follow that road up, about three miles and back again, lush views, nice surface, but a dead end, but well worth it.

And if you get tired I can fully recommend the strahannah stalking b&b and cabin half way up it!
image.jpg

Top Bottom