Best things about your home town

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The first freestanding purpose built clock tower in the world.
At one time the second longest pier in the country.
The world's first roller hockey club/
Locations for some of the filming of: Upstairs, Downstairs, Little Britain and Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em.

I could not wait to get away :smile:

Jimidh

Veteran
I grew up in a small town near Stirling at the foot of the Ochil Hills.

It was a great place to grow up with hills, woods, burns and rivers to play in.

It was a small community where everyone knew who you were and looked out for you.

As I got older I couldn't wait to get away and ended up in Edinburgh for Uni and then spent a large part of my single life there and it was brilliant.

But now I'm married with kids I have ended up in a similar type of town that I grew up in and you know what it's a great place for my kids to grow up with all the same things that I had when I was young.

Being a RAF kid meant that I left the town of my birth, Hull, at the age of 3. I can find it on a map, but that's your lot.

After a wandering childhood and early adulthood I've settled in Winchester and can't see myself moving. It's got a reputation for being up itself, which is only partially deserved. So a good fit. :tongue:

The museum is ok but not huge - I used to nip in there occasionally with Bolletta when she was little.
Spent many summer holidays in Winchester as my dad and his side of the family originate from there My grandparents lived in one of the town houses over the road from the council offices. Love Winchester.

I remember a similar thread, on a Land Rover forum, I used to use, so I've found the page & copied/pasted my contribution

I was chatting to a couple of our younger Nurses & Doctors this morning at work.
They'd moved to live around Wakefield after getting jobs here, and the more inquistive one was asking if I'd lived around here a long time (all my life) and was it famous for anythng in particular, so I thought for a few minutes and came up with these items (not in order);

Chantry Chapel (1 of 4 remaining bridge chapels in the country, and dates to approx 1350)

Wakefield Cathedral, dates from the mid 1400's. The highest steeple in Yorkshire, 4th highest in England.

Stanley Ferry Aquaduct. The only cast-iron suspension aquaduct in Europe (1839), it carries the Aire & Calder Navigation canal across the River Calder.
Visually almost identical to Sydney Harbour bridge.

First privately built & owned water tower (1640) to supply Heath Hall

Worlds first public railway, one on which anyone could place their own wagon (Lake Lock Rail-Road)

First 'new-town'/suburb. St Johns, built almost in its entirety circa 1830

Countries largest excavation at the time, the Notton cutting for the Barnsley Canal

Longest, most complete Manorial Court Roll in the country (almost complete from 1274- 1920's)

Stanley (my village) a unique bridge which carried 2 railways, and the road over another railway.

Oldest railway tunnel in the country, dating to the 1790's

One of the earliest town by-passes (now, Ings Road) built by Act Of Parliament in 1831.

Westgate (area of the City centre) has the oldest surving purpose built banking offices in the country - outside of London.

Wakefield was the most inland port that could build sea-going vessels.

Westgate Chapel may have the oldest known catacombs under a place of worship (beforea anyone responds, Churches & Cathedrals have Crypts)

Stanley Royd ( was called West Riding Luantic Asylum) one of the first rates financed asylums in the country.

Stanley Royd is responsible for the phrase 'As mad as a hatter'. One of the first patients was a milliner, Mercury fumes from the process affected the brain & caused severe affects.

The hymn 'Onward Christian Soldiers' was wrote & first performed in Horbury (suburb) by the local Vicar.
Believe it, or not, Horbury has a brown tourist sign that declares
'Home of Onward...'

Wakefield Prison is responsible for the childrens rhyme 'Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush', as one grew in the prisons exercise yard.

Plus

We've also got;
Sandal Castle, practically destroyed in the Civil War
Sharlston Hall, continually occupied since 1420-1430
Clarke Hall; circa 1670. Several Priest holes
The 'Wakefield Arms' pub (1843) is the only building still rendered in original Portland Cement
Cheapside, longest surving row of woolen merchants warehouses in the country
Barbara Hepworth (the sculptor) was born on Duke Of York Street in 1903

Obviously, this was at the time of compiling (Nov 2003)

byegad

Legendary Member
Middlesbrough for me and the best things are the roads out of town.
When I was a kid the air was thick with the by-products of the Steel industry and two ICI complexes either side of the town. Now there's no work and a once prosperous if very dirty town is poor and clean.

gbb

Legendary Member
Nothing too remarkable about Peterborough barring the fact i only have to travel 5 miles (my favourite only 1 mile) any which way and i'm in usually quite nice countryside.

stephec

Legendary Member
The first freestanding purpose built clock tower in the world.
At one time the second longest pier in the country.
The world's first roller hockey club/
Locations for some of the filming of: Upstairs, Downstairs, Little Britain and Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em.

I could not wait to get away :smile:
A pier in Warwick? :biggrin:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
A pier in Warwick? :biggrin:

I did say 'at one time' :blush:

stephec

Legendary Member
Salford for me so it's Lowry, and err....

Although Salford quays is now up and coming with the BBC locating there.

And just inside the city boundary is the country's first drive through Greggs. :smile:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Being a RAF kid meant that I left the town of my birth, Hull, at the age of 3. I can find it on a map, but that's your lot.

After a wandering childhood and early adulthood I've settled in Winchester and can't see myself moving. It's got a reputation for being up itself, which is only partially deserved. So a good fit. :tongue:

The museum is ok but not huge - I used to nip in there occasionally with Bolletta when she was little.

Be proud of being from Hull. It is a great city with even better people.

My son was born in Winchester. I was stationed at Barton Stacey for 3 years. Lovely part of the world.

rugby bloke

Veteran
I remember a similar thread, on a Land Rover forum, I used to use, so I've found the page & copied/pasted my contribution

I was chatting to a couple of our younger Nurses & Doctors this morning at work.
They'd moved to live around Wakefield after getting jobs here, and the more inquistive one was asking if I'd lived around here a long time (all my life) and was it famous for anythng in particular, so I thought for a few minutes and came up with these items (not in order);

Chantry Chapel (1 of 4 remaining bridge chapels in the country, and dates to approx 1350)

Wakefield Cathedral, dates from the mid 1400's. The highest steeple in Yorkshire, 4th highest in England.

Stanley Ferry Aquaduct. The only cast-iron suspension aquaduct in Europe (1839), it carries the Aire & Calder Navigation canal across the River Calder.
Visually almost identical to Sydney Harbour bridge.

First privately built & owned water tower (1640) to supply Heath Hall

Worlds first public railway, one on which anyone could place their own wagon (Lake Lock Rail-Road)

First 'new-town'/suburb. St Johns, built almost in its entirety circa 1830

Countries largest excavation at the time, the Notton cutting for the Barnsley Canal

Longest, most complete Manorial Court Roll in the country (almost complete from 1274- 1920's)

Stanley (my village) a unique bridge which carried 2 railways, and the road over another railway.

Oldest railway tunnel in the country, dating to the 1790's

One of the earliest town by-passes (now, Ings Road) built by Act Of Parliament in 1831.

Westgate (area of the City centre) has the oldest surving purpose built banking offices in the country - outside of London.

Wakefield was the most inland port that could build sea-going vessels.

Westgate Chapel may have the oldest known catacombs under a place of worship (beforea anyone responds, Churches & Cathedrals have Crypts)

Stanley Royd ( was called West Riding Luantic Asylum) one of the first rates financed asylums in the country.

Stanley Royd is responsible for the phrase 'As mad as a hatter'. One of the first patients was a milliner, Mercury fumes from the process affected the brain & caused severe affects.

The hymn 'Onward Christian Soldiers' was wrote & first performed in Horbury (suburb) by the local Vicar.
Believe it, or not, Horbury has a brown tourist sign that declares
'Home of Onward...'

Wakefield Prison is responsible for the childrens rhyme 'Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush', as one grew in the prisons exercise yard.

Plus

We've also got;
Sandal Castle, practically destroyed in the Civil War
Sharlston Hall, continually occupied since 1420-1430
Clarke Hall; circa 1670. Several Priest holes
The 'Wakefield Arms' pub (1843) is the only building still rendered in original Portland Cement
Cheapside, longest surving row of woolen merchants warehouses in the country
Barbara Hepworth (the sculptor) was born on Duke Of York Street in 1903

Obviously, this was at the time of compiling (Nov 2003)

Plus Queen Elizabeth Grammar School - my alma mater.

Top Bottom