best value cycle computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Mrs T Garmin 810 edge tour has bitten the dust tonight and she is after a new GPS.

Looking at the edge 830 but the £300 price tag is a bit high.

Can anyone tell me what maps the wahoo element uses?

according to what i have found they use open street
again i will offer the edge explore as an alternative as it will have all the bells and whistles you need unless you need support for powermeters

toffee

Guru
according to what i have found they use open street
again i will offer the edge explore as an alternative as it will have all the bells and whistles you need unless you need support for powermeters

Thanks for the reply. As it happens Mrs T has ordered the explore as a replacement.

cyberknight

Is the edge explore 2 worth the extra?
pasted from a website
The Garmin Edge Explore 2 is $50 more than the original Edge Explore that launced in 2018—$299.99 compared to $249.99.
With the release of this 2022 Garmin GPS, there is also an Edge Power Mount Bundle that cost $399.99. It constantly charge your device while you ride (Must have a compatible eBike or Cannondale SmartSense-ready bike; requires an additional cable (sold separately)).
The previous Edge Explore GPS did not have activity profiles. This new version comes preloaded with road, off-road, and indoor activity profiles. And, you'll have Recovery Advisor on-device, as well!
With the Edge Explore 2 you can also and highlight popular roads and trails along with high-traffic areas. Trendline Popularity Routing is new to this device!
Plus, you can now connect to your compatible eBike, receive navigation guidance and alerts based on your bike’s battery status, assist level and range.
New smart and safety features include Bike Alarm, inReach compatibility, Find My Edge, and a weather widget!
This Edge bike computer has pretty much the same dimensions—4.1" x 2.2" x 0.8" (105.0 x 55.0 x 22.0 mm)—and weight—3.7 oz (104 g)—as the original.
And finally, the Garmin Edge Explore 2 battery life is better! Instead of 12 hours, you'll get up to 16 hours in demanding use cases and up to 24 hours in battery saver mode.

Jameshow

Veteran
pasted from a website
The Garmin Edge Explore 2 is $50 more than the original Edge Explore that launced in 2018—$299.99 compared to $249.99.
With the release of this 2022 Garmin GPS, there is also an Edge Power Mount Bundle that cost $399.99. It constantly charge your device while you ride (Must have a compatible eBike or Cannondale SmartSense-ready bike; requires an additional cable (sold separately)).
The previous Edge Explore GPS did not have activity profiles. This new version comes preloaded with road, off-road, and indoor activity profiles. And, you'll have Recovery Advisor on-device, as well!
With the Edge Explore 2 you can also and highlight popular roads and trails along with high-traffic areas. Trendline Popularity Routing is new to this device!
Plus, you can now connect to your compatible eBike, receive navigation guidance and alerts based on your bike’s battery status, assist level and range.
New smart and safety features include Bike Alarm, inReach compatibility, Find My Edge, and a weather widget!
This Edge bike computer has pretty much the same dimensions—4.1" x 2.2" x 0.8" (105.0 x 55.0 x 22.0 mm)—and weight—3.7 oz (104 g)—as the original.
And finally, the Garmin Edge Explore 2 battery life is better! Instead of 12 hours, you'll get up to 16 hours in demanding use cases and up to 24 hours in battery saver mode.

Probably not then!

Alex321

Veteran
i have usd my mk 1 explore on century rides , normally with 2 stops and as long as i put it in sleep mode during the stop its lasts all day

That is not good. My Wahoo Elemnt would last 2-3 days of that sort of length at least. With the type of riding I do, I normally only charge it every 2-3 weeks - check each time I turn it off, and charge if below 20% usually.

cyberknight

That is not good. My Wahoo Elemnt would last 2-3 days of that sort of length at least. With the type of riding I do, I normally only charge it every 2-3 weeks - check each time I turn it off, and charge if below 20% usually.

reading up an element is listed as 16 hours , the explore is listed as 12 . i think with the explore 2 being listed the same 16 hours as yours .Obviously im running cadence sensors and full routing maps which does tend to eat battery life

Milzy

Guru
I’m wanting one at any budget that’s the best at putting you back on course if you miss any turns, rather than start another thread….

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I’m wanting one at any budget that’s the best at putting you back on course if you miss any turns, rather than start another thread….

No idea which is best, my only experience is with Wahoo Roam (V2). That does a decent job, though sometimes wants you to rejoin the route the fastest possible way rather than most efficient - will want to turn to rejoin the original route rather than carry on when you'd rejoin anyway in a bit. But you can see that on the screen so it's not a big problem.

Milzy

Guru
No idea which is best, my only experience is with Wahoo Roam (V2). That does a decent job, though sometimes wants you to rejoin the route the fastest possible way rather than most efficient - will want to turn to rejoin the original route rather than carry on when you'd rejoin anyway in a bit. But you can see that on the screen so it's not a big problem.

No Wahoo for me. Been a bolt owner for years. They were brilliant years back but haven’t evolved and the screens are harder to see than full coloured screens on other units. The search goes on.

gcogger

I like my Garmin 1030+ for that - you get to choose from various options when you go off course, making it very flexible. It's much better than my old Edge Explore in that regard.

13 rider

Guru
The new version bolt V2 has a function " take me too" where you drop a pin on a map and it creates a route straight on the headunit , I have not tried it but the scale on the map is only 200mts so very small area seems a bit useless

Milzy

Guru
The new version bolt V2 has a function " take me too" where you drop a pin on a map and it creates a route straight on the headunit , I have not tried it but the scale on the map is only 200mts so very small area seems a bit useless

Yeah, I need a bigger screen so maybe go for a 1040.

Top Bottom