best value cycle computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ade towell

Is the edge explore 2 worth the extra?

Does it have the same bug as with Explore 1 where the device will lock up and go blank after a while when using battery save mode?
It's my main gripe with the Explore 1 and means I can't use that mode without running the risk of losing everything, and this happens a lot so is a useless feature to me. It seems this is a long running well known issue that they just haven't bothered fixing as far as I'm aware.
So I have to bring a charging brick with me on any journey more than a few hours, using navigation without back light I can't get more than 5 hours without needing to keep topping it up whenever I stop for a break

gbs

Guru
Does any one have a view on the Roam v2 on two following points: a) rerouting and b) reconfiguring data screens to have an even number of data fields

Milzy

Guru
Does any one have a view on the Roam v2 on two following points: a) rerouting and b) reconfiguring data screens to have an even number of data fields

It’s good at those points. I think it’s very over priced though with all the brilliant computers out there now.

13 rider

Guru
I did a ride with my bolt V2 the other day and came across a road closure while following a route , I did know the way round but as I went off course the head unit came up with a new route back to the planned route which was in little blue arrows and was the way I was intending on going
The number of data fields is controlled via the app . I presume you can set an even number

gbs

Guru
Yahoo Roam, first route following ride today. Screen is very readable. Rerouting function is rubbish - its logic routes seems not to provide a new, revised route to the destination but back to the original route. Other errors on my part will no doubt be resolved next time or later.

Alex321

Veteran
Yahoo Roam, first route following ride today. Screen is very readable. Rerouting function is rubbish - its logic routes seems not to provide a new, revised route to the destination but back to the original route. Other errors on my part will no doubt be resolved next time or later.

I think most cycle re-routing algorithms will try to get you back on the route, rather than just finding quickest way to destination.

I suspect most people tend to use cycle routing for loops where they start and finish at the same point, and the navigation will be optimised for that.

Mike_P

Guru
The Garmin 530 is the same, even with it set not to route using U turns it constantly comes with make a U turn. Eventually when you have gone a fair distance off the planned route it finally comes up with some routing but that invariably tries to take you back to almost where you left the route. I had one instance where straight one was the logical way to go regain the planned route but it came up suggesting a right turn.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
the edge explore used to be good but as it ages it seems to be getting like all of the above

gcogger

The Garmin 1030+ has good options when you go off route, not just trying to do a U turn. I don't recall exactly what options it gives you (haven't needed that feature lately) but it can do the sensible thing and direct you to rejoin a little further along the route.

My limited experience with rerouting is that it seems to depend very much on where we are. Some places have either more options or are better mapped. On unit planning is never going to be as good as a dedicated planner. I have a Roam and was very impressed with its ability to reroute in a massive city.

LloydMids

I need one too, I'm using my phone to navigate - which is OK, until it starts to rain. Phone + rain = new phone.

Top Bottom