Best way to transport a 5 year old on a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Eighth Man

I want to be able to use one of bikes as do it all bike , but struggle because I need to take my 5 year old daughter with me. Is she too old for a trailer?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How about a tag along bike?

I was thinking about a tagalong but do not know how pratical it would be when she is tired.
- Nice thing about a tagalong - she doesn't actually need to do very much! Youngest and me had an explicit deal - and when I called out for her to pedal, she'd bust a gut, cos she'd know it was a tough hill. Rest of the time .......... she could do as she pleased.
- Not so nice thing about a tagalong - just sometimes, she'd feel that there was about to be a pig of a hill, and quite suddenly power into her pedals. Not always at the best moments. Could be hairy!

But we had loads of fun - and she really enjoyed the attention, from pedestrians and cars.

Enjoy - and good preparation for the next step ....... being useful on the back of a tandem :smile:

tom_e

Veteran
We have a trailer and a followme (sort of OTT trailgator device). 5 year old still goes in the trailer occasionally but I couldn't recommend buying one for them at that age. She gets bored and basically doesn't fit very well - have to fold her legs up. On the other hand she can sleep in it and shelter from the weather.

Followme works pretty well for trips where you can mix it up and let them ride a bit, and despite not being cheap, is still a lot cheaper than a tandem, which I am pretty certain will do the best job of on road riding. Have you seen the circe tandem?

I'd be thinking about how long you need to ride for, in what weather. If they're not too tired or cold, an hour on a tagalong/trailgator/followme should be fine normally. Assume you will have to pedal for two and anything else you get is a bonus, but can usually get a short burst of power on request.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Tagalongs are brilliant. My boy loves it - he's 4½.

As above, you can suggest they don't do much pedalling on the flat or downhill, but help you out when going uphill.
The only significant downside is getting through tight corners, especially the metal chicane barriers they sometimes put over bike paths.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I have a trailer for granddaughters. I take a 2 and a 4 year old out in it together, 4 year old will be 5 in May and 2 is 3 in June so might have to only take them out 1 at a time soon. They still both fit in but it is gettinga little cosy.

Bilbosdad

Long lead-in, but you will get there. My son refused to show any interest in a bicycle with stabilisers, but got along very well with a balance bike (one of the Isla ones). Once he could balance and brake on order, I removed the stabilisers from the 16" Raleigh Indestructobike and bought a Trail Gator - this worked really well but the little sod enjoyed being towed so much that he wouldn't pedal. Eventually i towed him to a flat country park (wide smooth pressed gravel tracks) locked up my bike and push started him along the track until he would pedal - after 1 mile he had got the hang of pedalling and could cycle unaided. After that time I used the tailgator to tow him when tired (or up hills), occasionally push him the last bit but gradually built up his strength so now I just tow his bike to school and have him ride unhitched. DENOUEMENT - My son was only one week past his 4th birthday when I got fed up towing him and he learned to ride - since that time the Trailgator has more than earned its cost, perhaps not as efficient as a tag-along but much more versatile as it gets the offspring riding their own bike and allows you to hitch them up when tired or when you want extra control and even to take their bike to them. The best price for me was on the internet (Rutland Cycles IIHC) price only just over £50 - Bargain and throughly recommended as a way of providing safe and supervised biking for new riders.

Top Bottom