Best wheelset up to £1k?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
After a few years with stock wheels on my summer bike I’m ready to buy a decent set of hoops for my Giant TCR. They can be carbon but don’t have to be. Preferably aero rimmed.
I’m more interested in how well they roll then the weight but I’m 10 stone so been light isn’t an issue.
Shoot away!!!

mgs315

Not got them myself but plenty at the club ride on Hunt wheels. The 50 Carbon would suit your budget and requirements. If I could warrant the purchase (for my TCR too funnily enough) I would.

Listed the discs below but they do 55 rims too I think.

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/coll...oad-wheelset-1438g-50deep-27wide-24spoke-1099

Heigue'r

Veteran
I recently got a pro1 with the carbon wheels and I run my tcr advanced with campagnolo zonda' s.At the moment I prefer the zonda's.I don't have enough miles on the pro 1 to say but the rim did touch the brake pads several times on a little climb,I've never had this with the zonda's but I've never had the brake blocks set as close as they were on the pro1.I'd look at a set of Shamal's or even Zonda's.If I had the cash,I'd go for bora 1 50's

If I had a spare grand in my pocket for a new wheelset I would, without doubt, go for a custom build.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
The last wheels i bought where Boyd ( custom built ) On my TCR i have Giant P-slr1's but i think they use a fairing now rather than a solid 50mm rim . Not sure if thats good or bad to be honest . A lot of the off the peg wheels seem to be fairings .

Purpose built for your bike, for your style of riding has to be better than off the shelf IMO. They will look better to my sense of aesthetics - choosing your own hubs and rims and spokes. It appeals to me that you would be supporting a 'local ' guy rather than a corporation most likely thousands of km away. And I believe they would offer better value for money.

e.g. to me, this is a thing of beauty...
487.jpg

...and folk far more knowledgeable than I rate this producer extremely highly.

Top Bottom