Best wheelset up to £1k?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
I have a set of Mavic Kysium Exaliths which i like the look of and the ride.Im not to sure id have liked to pay full price for them though.I aquired them on a deal with a bike.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Purpose built for your bike, for your style of riding has to be better than off the shelf IMO. They will look better to my sense of aesthetics - choosing your own hubs and rims and spokes. It appeals to me that you would be supporting a 'local ' guy rather than a corporation most likely thousands of km away. And I believe they would offer better value for money.

e.g. to me, this is a thing of beauty...
View attachment 447431

...and folk far more knowledgeable than I rate this producer extremely highly.

I have a pair, ultralight / venus, and have thousands of miles on them and they are as smooth as the day I got them.

huwsparky

Über Member
I guess there's an argument both ways. I don't get the 'if a bloke down the road builds them' they're bound to be better though. A good wheel is a good wheel, a crap wheel is a crap wheel regardless.

There's no reason a nice Mavic wheel won't last a very very long time.

If looking for specific asthetics then obviously it may be the only way to go.

After a few years with stock wheels on my summer bike I’m ready to buy a decent set of hoops for my Giant TCR. They can be carbon but don’t have to be. Preferably aero rimmed.
I’m more interested in how well they roll then the weight but I’m 10 stone so been light isn’t an issue.
Shoot away!!!
Set of Eastons in your budget...go Wiggle. Best wheels i have had in 40 yrs of cycling.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Happy Saturday friends.
My LBS can beat wiggle & all the other big players on price & I have to go over to look at two pairs I’ve narrowed down.

Fulcrum Quattro full carbon

Or

Dura ace 9100 ?

Both similar in weight but Dura ace have a titanium hub. Perhaps the fulcrum are a bit more aero.

Dura will cost me £100 more than the fulcrum which if saved would pay for my conti gp 5000’s.

Only thing is with the fulcrum I’ll have to change my brake pads. Also what will they be like braking down the steep hills on the Fred Whitton?

What would you chose?
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/fulcrum-racing-quattro-c17-carbon-wheelset-2019/rp-prod166514?gs=1&sku=sku616446&pgrid=60711842858&ptaid=pla-425521757249&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sAasc6J45_dm|pcrid|309840163148|pkw||pmt||prd|616446UK&gclid=Cj0KCQiAp7DiBRDdARIsABIMfoCr9vggsxfAmb_n2kdazRftaTy0N99OpR20djp0jakn5ei_vAyYfJQaAr8WEALw_wcB

Or

https://www.merlincycles.com/shiman...DGIih44FGKaeRae52EuNjDJ-KGYc1KREaApj1EALw_wcB

Your advice is always welcomed.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I don't understand factory built wheels - they use special parts so are hard to maintain (Ksyrium spokes are notorious for corroding into the rims), they're not always lighter and they often trade off spoke weight for rim weight, which is the wrong way to do it.

You could have Dura-Ace hubs, 28/32 DT spokes (I'd use Revs except on the RH rear, where I'd use Comp) and some of the best DT rims and still be well under budget. Then buy some really good tyres.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I don't understand factory built wheels - they use special parts so are hard to maintain (Ksyrium spokes are notorious for corroding into the rims), they're not always lighter and they often trade off spoke weight for rim weight, which is the wrong way to do it.

You could have Dura-Ace hubs, 28/32 DT spokes (I'd use Revs except on the RH rear, where I'd use Comp) and some of the best DT rims and still be well under budget. Then buy some really good tyres.
I don’t always understand custom wheel builders. You end up paying loads out for their labour costs. My LBS are good and can undercut Merlin, CRC & wiggle by a hefty % then I get Bike2work scheme so I’m not fussed about the cost.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I don’t always understand custom wheel builders. You end up paying loads out for their labour costs. My LBS are good and can undercut Merlin, CRC & wiggle by a hefty % then I get Bike2work scheme so I’m not fussed about the cost.

In general pare parts are the key for handbuilts , the factory build companies would rather sell you more wheels than make spare parts easily avialable.

Top Bottom