Best wheelset up to £1k?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I don’t always understand custom wheel builders. You end up paying loads out for their labour costs. My LBS are good and can undercut Merlin, CRC & wiggle by a hefty % then I get Bike2work scheme so I’m not fussed about the cost.
I've built my own for 25 years. Never had a decent* pair built by anyone else. If you look at the economics of it, professional wheelbuilders can't do the best job for the price people are willing to pay for their time - unless they control all the variables by only allowing you to choose from a very narrow selection of components with which they are familiar. The best-known names do the latter. I can spend two evenings getting a wheel perfect, or building a good-enough wheel from bad components, because my time is free (to me).

*by which I mean something that starts true and never needs touching again with a spoke key until the rim wears out. Anything less isn't properly built.

huwsparky

Über Member
Happy Saturday friends.
My LBS can beat wiggle & all the other big players on price & I have to go over to look at two pairs I’ve narrowed down.

Fulcrum Quattro full carbon

Or

Dura ace 9100 ?

Both similar in weight but Dura ace have a titanium hub. Perhaps the fulcrum are a bit more aero.

Dura will cost me £100 more than the fulcrum which if saved would pay for my conti gp 5000’s.

Only thing is with the fulcrum I’ll have to change my brake pads. Also what will they be like braking down the steep hills on the Fred Whitton?

What would you chose?
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/fulcrum-racing-quattro-c17-carbon-wheelset-2019/rp-prod166514?gs=1&sku=sku616446&pgrid=60711842858&ptaid=pla-425521757249&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sAasc6J45_dm|pcrid|309840163148|pkw||pmt||prd|616446UK&gclid=Cj0KCQiAp7DiBRDdARIsABIMfoCr9vggsxfAmb_n2kdazRftaTy0N99OpR20djp0jakn5ei_vAyYfJQaAr8WEALw_wcB

Or

https://www.merlincycles.com/shiman...DGIih44FGKaeRae52EuNjDJ-KGYc1KREaApj1EALw_wcB

Your advice is always welcomed.
Personally I'd go for the Dura-ace. Don't let braking on the Fred Whitton influence your decision though. On the really bad bits you won't be going anywhere near fast enough to suffer any heat issues with a full carbon rim. Sections of downhill not that long either.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Personally I'd go for the Dura-ace. Don't let braking on the Fred Whitton influence your decision though. On the really bad bits you won't be going anywhere near fast enough to suffer any heat issues with a full carbon rim. Sections of downhill not that long either.
I’m leaning towards the dura-ace. I just hope the graphics are dark. They look silver on the pictures.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Probably worth asking the question. If you're not sold on the looks you'll probably never really like them.
Very true. Also the Fulcrums are about 5 mm wider which is great especially for bigger tires. I’ve noticed the dura ace have come down a lot in price. Still the Quattros would save me £100 towards boots.

Adam4868

Guru
I just want the dura ace logo to be grey/black. Blending into the carbon. Not white or silver. The pictures look silver.
What i meant was you could get decals made to whatever colour/design you want

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Just got a set of zipp 302 .Only ridden a couple of times due to somewhat inclement weather but look like they're going to be a fine set of all rounders.

Deep enough to be a bit aero without the drawbacks of really deep section rims, and they use a sensible(ish) number of standard spokes

Top Bottom