Bestest lightest convenient lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Hi,

Im looking for a lock to be used just for when popping in a shop (usually a chippy or gettting samosas) and I still have an eye on the bike. So its more to delay any attempt to move the bike so I have chance to make my way over to whoever is moving it and have a full and frank discussion on why they shouldnt be doing that (I have the 2 kilo motorcycle D lock at home for top security).

Im looking for one that can attach the bike to an immovable object - lampost, street sign.

Any recommendations?

vickster

Legendary Member
Hiplock? You'll need something fairly long for a lampost/sign as opposed to a Sheffield stand

Otherwise you can get cafe locks if you really do want something small and light, there used to be an Abus one (although I found unreliable)

rivers

How far can I go?
I have a hiplock z lock that I use while bikepacking. Fits in a jersey pocket, weighs very little. I wouldn't want to leave it completely unattended while using it, and certainly wouldn't lock it in Bristol using it, but works for the situation your describing.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...

Does the job... 👍

Brandane

Legendary Member
A Kryptonite something or other combination cable lock. Like yourself, I only use it for short term leaving the bike to pop into a shop or whatever. I like the fact it has a handy bracket for storing it on the frame, and being a combination lock I don't get the chance to find out I've left the key at home when I want to lock the bike up.... It's long enough to get round the frame and most lamp posts/railings.

20210812_153515.jpg

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
That looks a bit like overkill for my needs. Security overkill is good - Im liking the look of those.

Thanks, all for your replies.
The Defcon comes with a laptop adapter thingie so you can use it for that, too 😊

vickster

Legendary Member
Abus Bordo
Good shout and easy brackety thing to fix to frame

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've got 3 Abus Bordos. Got two in a crazy sale, and keep one at work just in case a colleague forgets theirs.

They aren't super light, but they are no d-lock in weight. You can get different sizes - smaller = lighter. Quite flexible in use too. And, being 'different' can confuse a potential thief.

battered

Guru
A brake cable, two cable clamps to create loops, a padlock. Wrap it in tape, pocket it. You can cut it with cable cutters. Sure. Who takes them to the chippy? You can't do it with no rmal pliers.

Top Bottom