Bianchi Aria Disc with Mavic Cosmic Pro Carbon wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I saw the Aria at the cycle show recently while looking for an aero bike to complement my collection. I've read a few reviews but wondered if anyone on here has any first hand experience of them? I know the first production disc variants haven't come out of the factory yet and its unlikely many people outside the industry have been out on the pre-production bikes but figured it was worth an ask!

Reason being I'm booked in for a fitting on an Aria Disc with Ultegra and Cosmic Pro Carbon SL UST wheels at Epic Cycles at the end of November. All being well I'll be putting a deposit down for delivery when the weather starts to warm up around March/April next year. Exciting stuff! Looking for something a little racier than my Roubaix that I can use on special occasions when the all-day comfort of the Roubaix isn't so important.

I had originally asked for a quote for the bike to be fitted with Zipp 404's but Epic suggested the Mavic's were better suited due to their thinner rim section and potential fitment issues with the Zipp's. I've since read up a bit more on the Mavic's and they seem to be a great choice, the UST tubeless system certainly looks pretty impressive. Am I missing any other options in this price range? The bike's coming in at around ~£4.2k at the moment and I don't want to go any higher, I'd originally capped myself at £4k but you know how these things go... :laugh:

Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated - It's a hefty amount of money so I want to explore the options but feel like I've already made up my mind :laugh:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
No opinion on the Aria, except it looks gorgeous. I have an Infinito CV, bought from Epic, which has surpassed expectations, as did the Epic buying / fitting experience.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
No opinion on the Aria, except it looks gorgeous. I have an Infinito CV, bought from Epic, which has surpassed expectations, as did the Epic buying / fitting experience.

It does look good doesn't it :wub:

The Epic experience has thus far lived up to it's name; They replied promptly and fully to my original email enquiry and the staff member I've been dealing with has been nothing less than excellent since then. I'm looking forward to getting over there to meet them ^_^

bpsmith

Veteran
I have a Bianchi Sempre Pro, which I have really enjoyed riding for a couple of years. Looks great and rides very well.

Last year I got a cracking deal on a Ridley Noah SL in Lotto Soudal colours. This thing is something else. Completely different to the Bianchi, as it’s an aero bike, but what’s struck me is how stiff it is, from a power point of view rather, but how it’s still comfy in long rides too. From the spec, it’s down to the better quality carbon in use.

What I am getting at, is that is that it might be worth you having a look at the Ridley’s over at Epic in order to compare how they ride? Also try out an XR3 and/or XR4 to compare to the Ridley too, as the Noah SL compares to the XR4 in where it’s pitched, but at a keener price point.

I will always love Bianchi’s, but the Ridley has really surprised me in many ways.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Thanks for the advice - I will be sure to have a good look at the other offerings available whilst I am in store :okay:

I've already ordered new locks, wall hooks, pedals etc for the new bike and I've not even ordered it yet :laugh: I get a little over excited about these things...:tongue: The really scary thing is I've already started eyeing up n+2 :laugh: A Titanium hardtail mountain bike is next on the hit list :whistle:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Don't forget to add comprehensive insurance to your list

Absolutely! This will be bicycle policy number 3, my commuter is the only one covered under my home insurance policy :laugh: I'm hoping to get a slightly better price this time round as I'm now a paid up british cycling member. What's the going rate out of interest? I'm paying about £29/month for 2 bikes at the moment on 2 seperate policies. Combined replacement value about £7.5k if that makes any difference. Is there such a thing as a multibike policy? :wacko:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I spent the morning at Epic Cycles in Ludlow today getting fitted up on the Bianchi ^_^ Unfortunately the disc variants aren't out of the factory yet so I had to 'make do' with a campag rim-brake variant for the fitting - it was still gorgeous :wub: The long and the short of it is I left with a lighter wallet but no bike :laugh: All being well it should arrive Feb/March ready for when the weather starts to pick up - I'm super excited :laugh:

I'm being sent some measurements from the fitting session so I will try and recreate them on my Roubaix as best I can, it'll be interesting to see how far away it is currently as I have slowly tweaked it over the last year or so to get it to its current setup :laugh:

This was the beast after it had been setup to my measurements...

bpsmith

Veteran
Very nice indeed! Exciting times come the Spring. :smile:

macky

I had originally asked for a quote for the bike to be fitted with Zipp 404's but Epic suggested the Mavic's were better suited due to their thinner rim section and potential fitment issues with the Zipp's
I’m
Looking for some carbon wheels. Everything I read seems to be pointing at wider rims.
These are floating my boat at the moment
http://ridefullgas.com/dm8
They also have a video on u tube.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Agreed, wider does seem to be better and on paper they look to be a decent wheel for the money, I'd be interested to hear how you get on with them if you take the plunge :okay:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've not yet got a confirmed date for the Aria but there has been a bit of progress as I understand the first Disc variants are out of the factory now ^_^ I was getting a bit impatient a while back and ordered these bottle cages before promptly forgetting I'd done so - I didn't fancy paying full price so I bought them somewhere cheap that didn't have them in stock to save a few quid :laugh: I had a nice little surprise when they finally turned up the other day :laugh: Does this count as Bianchi ownership? :tongue:

During the fitting they recommended I go to a slightly shorter stem and it did feel better so I've taken the opportunity to upgrade to a Deda superzero stem and carbon superzero aero bars. I'm checking my email inbox every evening for updates but they've kept me waiting so far :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I heard last week that Epic are expecting to recieve it in the last week of February which means I will likely see it in the first week or two of March. Super exciting! Just need to fit the delivery around my business travel now as Ive got hungary Germany and China trips planned around that time :huh: Im sure work will understand that bicycles have priority over business :thumbsup::laugh:

Top Bottom