Bianchi Oltre XR4 Disc build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tonybanham13

Many thanks, I will check on what depth of thread Campag require to go into the caliper and that will give me the bolt length.
Also where did you get the chainstay protector from looks very neat?

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I cut the chainstay protector from a length of helicopter tape and trimmed it to fit :okay:

Tonybanham13

Hi
Just started my XR4 build and having a probel with the Metron bars, I cannot find any instructions for them and I appear to have a gap betwen the cover and the frame. In your photos you have no gap. I have used the wavy washer suppiled with the bars, is this causing the gap?

20201212_112209.jpg

Many thanks, I might have a few more questions soon.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Hi Tony,

That gap doesn't look too far off what I'd expect, it'll close up a bit once you've cut the steerer and tightened the stem down as this compresses the assembly. I just took a few photos of the gaps on mine for reference:

I still haven't braved taking the spacers out and trimming the steerer further, need to get a few more miles on it first to judge how much lower I can go :laugh:

Tonybanham13

Many thanks, looks like all is OK and comression should help. I have measured up my old bike to replicate the bar height but might add a small a spacer extra just in case, if I am brave enough the plan is to cut it tomorrow. Small mistake today got the hydraulic cables the wrong way round, rear was to go through the top tube. Will swap these over tomorrow.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I thought I'd documented my custom 3D printed gps mount for the Bianchi somewhere but can't find it... Anyway, I've been playing with the design a little and had a new engineering resin to try out so figured it was the perfect time to print a replacement :okay: Here's the current design, printed in the only resin I had available at the time which happened to be light grey...

Its designed to fit a Hammerhead Karoo 2 head unit and a Bontrager Ion 200 front light. It's worked really well so I'm hoping with some tweaks the new one will continue to serve me well. I've made it slightly stiffer by extending the central rib underneath all the way to the front, then made all of the ribs thinner to make it look a little less chunky :laugh: I've also tweaked the overall silhouette, especially where it meets the underside of the bars to make it look a little more streamlined. Here is the old grey one and the new black one sat next to each other before I fitted the new one...

Similar, but different 😄 Here is the new one fitted :smile:

It looks better just for being black, but I think the outline suits the bars better too. It's all for nought really anyway as once the computer is fitted you can't see it :laugh:

I went out on her again at lunchtime, a quick 15 mile spin taking advantage of a rare break in skype meetings 😄

The saddle position seemed better today so perhaps I will leave it for now and see how it develops. I did however fit a little upgrade that someone alerted me to in the Bianchi owners club facebook group - a seatpost clamp cover for a 2016 Giant TCR Advanced Pro :laugh: They happen to fit Aria's, XR3's and XR4's rather nicely :laugh:

View attachment 526910

Hi,
Just built up an XR4 and have noticed the paint tends to be very thin around the seat post clamp area. Do you happen to have a link where you bought the Giant cover ?

I wonder would the 2021 cover do the job.
https://www.giantbikespares.com/Gia...over--1724-G21SPV-0001/product_detail/3-46651

Thanks

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Hi,
Just built up an XR4 and have noticed the paint tends to be very thin around the seat post clamp area. Do you happen to have a link where you bought the Giant cover ?

I wonder would the 2021 cover do the job.
https://www.giantbikespares.com/Giant-TCR-Advanced-(2021)-Seat-Clamp-Cover--1724-G21SPV-0001/product_detail/3-46651

Thanks

The 2021 seems to have a different profile seatpost - mine came from the same website as your link but is for a 2016+ TCR Advanced Pro. I just had a look and it doesn't seem to be listed anymore, which is a nuisance as mine is starting to perish already :sad: I might look in to 3d printing a replacement at some point if I can find a suitable flexible black resin.

The 2021 seems to have a different profile seatpost - mine came from the same website as your link but is for a 2016+ TCR Advanced Pro. I just had a look and it doesn't seem to be listed anymore, which is a nuisance as mine is starting to perish already :sad: I might look in to 3d printing a replacement at some point if I can find a suitable flexible black resin.

Thanks for that. I ended up putting a Fizik 33mm seatpost ring on mine. I mainly wanted it because the paint is so thin along the edges it tends to have imperfections. My LBS had the Celeste CK16 paint and touched it in. The ring just covers and seals it though obviously does not cover the bolt. Also my saddle is a Fizik too.

Attachments

• XR4.JPG
    XR4.JPG
    174.8 KB · Views: 20
  • XR42.JPG
    XR42.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 21
Top Bottom