Bib shorts or regular shorts with leg warmers or Bib tights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Reading this thread and the other it's clear you feel confused and also need to spend wisely. Can I suggest the following are your options, there are others but I feel this brings the choices down to a manageable level. These thoughts are based on what I wear and the vast majority of my cycling buddies:

1. Bib shorts with a good pad. You said you have a 41" waist. Bibs will be more comfortable and stay in position when waist shorts can/will move around and cut in to the waist.
  2. Bib longs with a small amount of insulation/fleece - in northern England it doesn't need to be very thick/heavy. You will have to chose between padded or unpadded. In my group opinion is split 50/50. I favour unpadded bib longs and wear these over my bib shorts. Two reasons for this - I've invested time and money in finding comfortable bib shorts and want to use them. Finding bib longs which I wear over the top is far simpler than finding some with a good pad. The second reason is economy - unpadded bib longs will be cheaper and bib shorts do wear thin in places. I wear pairs which are wearing thin under my bib longs which doubles their lifetime***
  3. Tights do serve a purpose but I only use them on a very few occasions each year - perhaps 6 times. I feel these are an unnecessary item - it's either longs or shorts for most days.
  4. ALDI - do offer some very good value products. I particularly like their base layers, gloves, socks, glasses and have used their shirts and jackets years ago - I don't now. I would not buy shorts or longs at ALDI as having done so found the pads are poorly positioned - remember they are trying to appeal to everyone
  5. Find the right brand. I'm very fussy about my bib shorts and longs and stay with the same brand and style for as long as possible. Take your time and when you find the right fit, if necessary, invest that little bit more money to have the most comfortable. It is an investment in yourself and your comfort.
  6. *** I appreciate your point of being out of work for two years. I'm not going to link to brands I would I recommend as these are expensive and you may find off putting. However I would emphasize the longevity of quality brands. The bib shorts I am currently using are 7-8 years old. The fabric is worn very thin in places meaning I can only wear them under bib longs but the pad is still very serviceable. For example a £100 pair of bib shorts which lasts 5 years is really only costing £20/year. I ride a minimum of 150 miles/week so my clothing is taking a battering but it lasts!!

For this year it has to be shorts with seperate warmers, certainly down South it's not going to be cold enough for me to get the thermal tights out
What sort of long term weather forecasting thing are you putting your confidence in?

I'm currently wearing Polaris padded 3/4 bib's (come just below the knee) then I'm also wearing MTB shorts over the top of them, walking boots with Aldi socks, quite like having the calf's open to the air, been down to 2 degrees like this. Probably doesn't look cool BIDGAF
I won t be emulating your total look but can i ask what the polaris 3/4 bibs are like? How many miles are you doing in them/how comfortable?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Troosers.. I'm not sure who made mine (Altura?)

Edit: Altura Winter Cruisers. One of my favourite bits of kit. Patched many times around the saddle area with iron-on patches. Worn over any old padded or unpadded shorts that I have handy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

I won t be emulating your total look but can i ask what the polaris 3/4 bibs are like? How many miles are you doing in them/how comfortable?
I like them hence wearing them, only wear them when it starts to come cool, I'm riding 30+ MTB miles with them without any problems. They are thicker than the DHB bib shorts I wear in the summer, they are a few years old now, probably 5 or 6, had to sew a couple of bit of the seams this year on the left leg, not sure if it was wear or I caught them somewhere. I'm getting to be a big fan of Polaris gear, but I am fairly local to them so can go & look before I buy.

Thanks for reply @Phaeton . Yes their prices can be good if you catch them at the right time - got some of their bib longs in xmas sale for £35, not ridden them enough yet to judge.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Just as an aside. Of the male riders I know only one, possibly two, wear waist shorts, everybody wears bibs. This is because bib shorts do not cut in to the waist and help to keep "everything" in a comfortable position! Of the ladies I cycle with I would say choice is split 50/50. I've discussed this with them and woman with larger breasts find bibs uncomfortable and so chose shorts.

Longs should be going on sale soon, will probably be good discounts, though of course we will be entering the warmer weather.
Good luck with your cycling OP, once you get into it and have basic stuff I would advise always buying stuff off season, ie shorts and short sleeve tops in autumn. The bargains thread on here is great. I generally aim to spend no more than 60 per cent of normal price and more like 50 normally.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Alternative view, a good pair of Bib shorts and unless you are doing a lot of cold weather riding a pair of Ron hill tracksters over the top of the bibs is a convenient, cheap, flexible and comfortable solution. Spend saved money on a good jacket and baselayer.
You’ll soon be up to 20 miles....

Just as an aside. Of the male riders I know only one, possibly two, wear waist shorts, everybody wears bibs. This is because bib shorts do not cut in to the waist and help to keep "everything" in a comfortable position! Of the ladies I cycle with I would say choice is split 50/50. I've discussed this with them and woman with larger breasts find bibs uncomfortable and so chose shorts.
In a rush so can't reply to various issues in this. Have given a like as faster but your post demands/deserves a cacophony of emojis i feel but not sure if you can do more than one.
All the best. Thanks for (nice) morning laugh/splutter.

I could never get on with leg/arm warmers, too much faff for me.

Shorts in summer, tights when it`s cold. Same with the top end, SS jersey in summer, same jersey with jacket in winter

Done.....:laugh:

OP
OP
F
Thank you everyone who has replied. Much appreciated.

I think I'll try going for bib shorts, If I can find them in my size and depends on the cost of them.

So far on my list I have:-
  • Base layer - long sleeve
  • Bib shorts
  • Thermal leg warmers
  • Softshell jacket
  • Buff
  • Gloves
  • Mudguards (suitable for a CX)
What the hell is the difference between waist and hip size?

Last edited:
Top Bottom