Bib shorts or regular shorts with leg warmers or Bib tights?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not sure what to go for.

• Either Bib shorts, or regular shorts with leg warmers. Or bib tights?
  • Thermal or non-thermal. Looking for all year round clothing?

Opinions?

(I've never worn bibs before so it's all new to me)

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Bib shorts are still shorts? Do you mean tights?
If I wanted versatility, I'd go for (bib) shorts and get some unpadded tights to go over the top for winter and knee warmers for spring / autumn, depends how much you feel the cold really

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
For this year it has to be shorts with seperate warmers, certainly down South it's not going to be cold enough for me to get the thermal tights out

For this year it has to be shorts with seperate warmers, certainly down South it's not going to be cold enough for me to get the thermal tights out

Same here, slightly warmer bib shorts and then thicker leg warmers, it's enough down to around 2 - 5º

Can't wait to seeing barmy double figure temperatures again and then the knee warmers come out

Sharky

Guru
In the summer (warm weather), I wear summer weight bib shorts.
In autumn/spring I can use the above with legwarmers
In winter and the cold months, use fleece tights/longs (Roubaix material) with adjustable braces

I like bib shorts, but did have a problem following broken collar bones with them being too tight and switched to waist shorts/longs with the braces.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It depends:
  • Shorts with leggings for commuting. I get enough wierd looks from staff and students as it is.
  • Bib longs for other rides

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I tend to prefer plain bib longs over shorts, on the grounds that there's a bit of extra warmth where it's needed.

OP
OP
F
I haven't cycled since September 2018, and I'm needing to get back in the saddle. Can't fit in my usual gear, so need to buy some new clothes.

My plan is to work up to hopefully more than 20 miles as soon as I'm fit enough.

I usually wear the things in this thread
The yellow 'jacket' isn't waterproof. I think the shorts are but can't remember and tend not to cycle in the rain unless I'm caught out in it.

Quite honestly I do prefer shorts, but I'm unsure what to wear because there's so many options and I'm lost.

I think I'll be cycling on the canal to begin with, with the odd cycle round Skipton.
Might head to Ambleside next month and have a cycle round there.
Just heard today that we might be going to Scotland in September so I'll definately be taking the bike with me and get some cycling in whatever the weather!

D

Deleted member 26715

I'm currently wearing Polaris padded 3/4 bib's (come just below the knee) then I'm also wearing MTB shorts over the top of them, walking boots with Aldi socks, quite like having the calf's open to the air, been down to 2 degrees like this. Probably doesn't look cool BIDGAF

Top Bottom