bib shorts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benw

Regular
I just bought the Planet X bib shorts, they are my 1st ever pair so nothing to compare them to but for £15 they seem exceptional value in a world where everything cycle related is bloody expensive

GuyBoden

Guru
I’ve recently got a few things from Lusso (https://www.lusso.bike/) and have been very pleased with it. All (or mostly?) made in the UK too. It may stretch your 60-70 Euro budget a bit, but I mention it because I too have had a lot of Assos kit previously and was looking for excellent quality at a slightly less silly price.
I've been wearing Lusso too for the last three years and I like the comfort given on longer rides of 6+ hours.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Rode 6 - 7 hours a day for 3 days in a row on some Amazon Przewalski bibs which were spot on despite my worries.
Just bought some altura pro gel plus for twice the price which feel exactly the same for similar length rides however much better quality.
I do commute in adidas Chelsea shorts though with no padding so feel my rear is fairly hardened.
Mate of mine swears by castelli which can be had for £80 ish on an offer

lejogger

Guru
I think shorts… (like saddles) are a very individual thing. I bought a couple of rapha pro team bib shorts around 7 years ago and they’re still going strong… so while they weren’t cheap, they’ve paid for themselves, and are by far the most comfy and well fitting shorts I’ve had. I’ve subsequently bought more pairs (including the v2 ones) and am just as happy with them.

Recently ordered from Alé, Le Col, Albion and they just haven’t fitted nicely, and I didn’t think the quality was as good. In fact the only other shorts I have that compare are some DHB Aeron. Currently £48 on Wiggle I think - defo worth a try.

But we do all come in different shapes and sizes so it may take a bit of trial and error to get ones that fit thighs, hips, waist and shoulders and have a top quality chamois too.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
After having a few pairs of these for about 6 months i have found the leg elastic weakens that allows them to ride up your leg causing bunching around the pad which can cause irritation on the nether regions
On sunday i got a saddler sore from this and today i must have pulled them down 3 times in 10 miles , the rest of the shorts are fine and the pad isnt worn but the leg grippers let them down

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I wore Assos F1 Mille for many years and now wear the replacement Mille GT. The prices are eyewatering at +/-£115 though if one waits there are offers down to around £80/90. Comfort is supreme and lifetime very good.

I have two five year old pairs of F1s which I still wear under winter bibs as the lycra is now too thin to wear in summer. I reckon to get at least four years from a pair so the cost is s minimal £25/30pa which is nothing in the scheme of things.

I was given a pair of Le Col bibs and found the pad to be like sitting on cardboard. After 40 miles that was it. Also found the fabric tends to "pull" easily.

I'm sure there are other bibs out there which would suit but I don't really want to take the chance. I feel buying the absolute best for +/-£25pa is a sound investment.

Overall I'd say Assos easily make the best cycling kit in the world despite what our friends at Rapha think!

Top Bottom