Bib tights/shorts - Whats the point of it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marin Maniac

I'm wondering if someone can point out who owns some bib tights what the point is?

Why by bibs and not just waist tights?

And another thing, do you wear you base/mid layers under the bib suport or over it?

Looking at buying some tights, and the answers to these questions would really help me out!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Bib tights are very much more comfortable, in my experience, and reduce the risk of showing more than you'd like of your newly toned rear to the following traffic. Winter bibs can also be quite toasty (dhb's Merston tights have a bib lined with the same fleecy material as the rest of the garment, almost like wearing a vest type base layer in effect.

Base layers go under the bib, jerseys etc go over them.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
the bib keeps the tights from rolling down at the top when on the bike, and also stops the padding pulling the shorts down at the back when stood up. it also acts as a useful extra layer when climbing in the hills.

there are three ways of wearing them. over a base layer, or under a jersey or between the two.

that said i always wear shorts under bib tights or bib shorts under waist tights. two bibs is too much imo.

Bib tights are ok - I have a couple of fleecy pairs for winter commuting - but they soon get too hot for wearing once the temp rises to around the 10 degrees C mark IME. Also, I prefer non-bib waist tights when I'm out on longer rides as it's much less faff to go to the loo!

jimboalee

+1,
Bib tights make it bloody awkward when you want a dump half way round a randonee.

I use mine for street jogging to stop thighs chaffing. Not for any bike rides any more.

jayce

i hav 2 pairs for the winter their 3/4 so they stay where they should with just tights they can roll down .keeps you that little bit warmer as well

yello

Marin Maniac said:
I'm wondering if someone can point out who owns some bib tights what the point is?

- more comfortable and secure fit
- a bit of extra warmth around the back/kidneys
- preference due to the above

I find bibless tights/shorts can cut into the waist after a while so are not comfortable for cycling in a tucked up position.

But try it. There are no rules and just go with what you prefer. :biggrin:

jimboalee

When were the first bib shorts/tights ??

I cannot remember anything like them before Lycra.

Tynan

Veteran
bib longs for the cold and very natty and racy bib shorts in a dashing and lightweight blue for summer

the wife thinks they're obscene but I like them a lot

OP
OP
M

Marin Maniac

Some good replies.

I've taken the plunge and purchased some of DHB's finest waist tights.

I just can't get my head around dungaree'esq cycling tights. Perhaps they'll grow on me.

I have to say, apart from aesthetic reasons, another major factor in plumping for the waist tights was the ease of roadside urinary salvation.

Top Bottom